* DRAGOON and Ada95 meet Java
@ 1996-02-18  0:00 Kenneth Mays
From: Kenneth Mays @ 1996-02-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi again,

I read some notes that DRAGOON was going to become an integral part
of Ada95. Some programmers are also looking into integrating Java
interfaces from Ada95. Supposedly, Java is an advancement from C++
but resembles Ada95. Any wanting to comment their expertise on
DRAGOON on Java with the use of Ada95?

Ken
"If you eat something with seeds, plant the seeds, so it can bring
forth more food for consumption."

* Re: DRAGOON and Ada95 meet Java
@ 1996-02-18  0:00 ` David Weller
From: David Weller @ 1996-02-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <00001a73+0000284b@msn.com>, Kenneth Mays <KMays@msn.com> wrote:
>Hi again,
>
>I read some notes that DRAGOON was going to become an integral part
>of Ada95. Some programmers are also looking into integrating Java
>interfaces from Ada95. Supposedly, Java is an advancement from C++
>but resembles Ada95. Any wanting to comment their expertise on
>DRAGOON on Java with the use of Ada95?

Hmm, I thought the only two people that used DRAGOON were Colin
Atkinson and I*  :-)  It's certainly a dead issue, since DRAGOON has
been largely unsupported for a few years.  In any case, the issue of
"behavioural inheritance" is a sticky one, and has not appeared in any
current languages, including Java and Ada 95 (the feature of
"behavioural inheritance", the ability to inherit concurrency
behaviours at the leaf of an inheritance tree, is probably the one
"significant" issue of DRAGOON that is not supported in Ada 95).
Having said all that, I'm not entirely convinced it has a meaningful
place in modern languages (that's a pretty pathetic postiion
considering I've done research work on the very subject :-)

*Colin Atkinson was the creator of DRAGOON; he was also my advisor at
my last university.
--
		    GNAT = GNAT is Not an Ada Translator
==Ada 95 Booch Components: www.ocsystems.com/booch or www.dfw.net/~dweller==

* Re: DRAGOON and Ada95 meet Java
@ 1996-02-20  0:00   ` Murdock Paul
From: Murdock Paul @ 1996-02-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Weller wrote:

> Hmm, I thought the only two people that used DRAGOON were Colin
> Atkinson and I*  :-)

... almost. I bought a DRAGOON translator (for VMS) from a company
in Italy. Although the ideas in DRAGOON were very good, the
implementation and performance of the translator were, to be
polite, less than impressive. I heard the implementation on Sun's
was better ...

Paul Murdock                 E-mail  : Paul.Murdock@psi.ch
Paul Scherrer Institute      Tel     : +41 (0)56 310 36 75
CH-5232 Villigen PSI         Fax     : +41 (0)56 310 36 49
Switzerland