From: jankok@mcvax.uucp (Jan Kok)
Subject: Re: The equals function.
Date: Tue, 30-Sep-86 10:22:10 EDT	[thread overview]
Date: Tue Sep 30 10:22:10 1986

CORRECTION
I must apologize about my previous posting, the subject of the existence
of the operator STANDARD."=" has been too difficult for me. I maintain
that it is interesting, at least I learned something.

I wrote:
In article <310@zuring.mcvax.UUCP> jankok@zuring.UUCP (Jan Kok) :

>I checked with a validated compiler (wellll, expired now), and it
>recognizes STANDARD."=".

But my test was too simple. I checked whether it recognized STANDARD."="
for operands of a predefined type like FLOAT. It does.
But my compiler does not accept STANDARD."=" for operands of a
user-defined type like 'access INTEGER'.

With help of a colleague, I may offer a better explanation: for a new
type, the prefix in the expanded name should be that of the module
(package, etc.) containing the type declaration. So, there is no
disagreement among validated compilers about this issue, as far as
tests have been made now by net-readers.

The person with the original problem is not helped by this. The prefix
can be used if the new definition and the "=" used in the call are
(possibly implicitly) declared in different modules.
--
Mail: Jan Kok, CWI (afd. NW), Postbus 4079, NL-1009 AB Amsterdam, Nederland
UUCP: {seismo, decvax, philabs, okstate, garfield}!mcvax!zuring!jankok