From: "James E. Hopper" <hopperj@macconnect.com>
Subject: Re: GNAT for MacOS X Server?
Date: 1999/05/31
Date: 1999-05-31T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Hi,

Dave thanks for the plug, but new email address is

hopeprj@macconnect.com

as to OS X, i have looked at it a lot.  things are good and bad in this.

good, OS X is changing to posix threads as its standard threads
bad, currently gcc is 2.7.2
better, beta i am told by folks within apple is using egcc
bad, memory model that apple is using in OS X gcc is quite a bit
     different than bsd, and getting the cross compiler to work so far
     has been hard.

when my copy of the OS X beta arrives i will build the cross compiler,
and try to get gnat to run on it. we will see how it goes.  i have a
web page at

members.macconnect.com/~hopperj

right now all it has is the current release of the machten port (3.11)
of gnat [it still has some problems building standalone mac
executables)

if i get it running thats where i will put it, i will also post status
of the effort when i get the OS X beta there.

Note this compiler will also run on OS X server which is released if i
get it running.

jim

hopperj@macconnect.com      - home
jim_hopper@dayton.saic.com  - work