From: "Jedi Tek'Unum" <jeditekunum@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Arduino Due vs Mac
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 05:59:31 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2015-07-07T05:59:31-07:00	[thread overview]

A few observations:

On Mac, device names ending in something like usbmodemfd131 are from the Apple driver and the hex ending is related to the physical port number. My experience has been that the Apple drivers, for FTDI at least, are buggy. I always replace it with the driver from FTDI which has always cleared up flaky problems for me. The driver from FTDI names the device with the serial number of the adapter.

I haven't used it with ARM yet, but the ATMEL ICE (BASIC) is fairly inexpensive. With AVR I only use it to burn boot loaders. I never took the time to figure out how to configure tools on OS X to work with it - I just use the ATMEL tool on Windows within VirtualBox.

Have you looked at OpenOCD (http://openocd.net/)?