From: mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael Feldman)
Subject: Re: A ``New'' Ada compiler for the IBM PC
Date: 11 Apr 91 05:06:35 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <71910409121517.0004238973NC3EM@mcimail.com> 0004238973@MCIMAIL.COM (Frank Pappas) writes:

>   I recently saw an ad for a ``new'' Ada compiler for the
>PC from a company named GEMTECH.  The price of the compiler
>is $149. DON'T RUSH OFF TO BUY IT. GEMTECH is a company
>started by AETECH to sell a stripped-down version of its
>IntegrAda compiler.
And IntegrAda is a wrapper around Janus Ada. I believe that Meridian's
examination of the IntegrAda development environment, which isn't too
bad, may have helped convince them that developing a similar shell
for OpenAda wasn't a terrible idea.

>and whether or not they really let you write Ada programs
>the way you want to. For example, unless IntegrAda has
>changed a drastically in six months, it's tasking capability
>is so limited, that it is useless.
Meaning that priorities are not supported (rather, that all tasks
have a single priority). No time-slicing either.

>   Meridian performed a real service a few months ago when
>it offered Open Ada for $149. Since the GEMTECH offer is
>based on IntegrAda, I doubt that the same can be said about
>GEMTECH's offer.

Far be it from me to dump on the Meridian compiler. On the other
hand, Janus Ada has had a considerable following for a good few
years. Frank, maybe you are dismissing it too cavalierly?
Are there other serious weaknesses besides the stripped-down
tasking model?

Rumor has it that Alsys is going to drop its FirstAda price to
bring it into Meridian's ballpark. Finally these guys are starting
to get into a genuine competition. It's long overdue!

Mike Feldman