From: Dewi Daniels <dewi@daniels.org.uk>
Subject: Re: option de compilation pour GNAT sous linux
Date: 2000/07/14
Date: 2000-07-14T21:16:01+00:00	[thread overview]

Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com> wrote:

>For future reference this is an english only newsgroup. If
>you want to post in French, you will find the French Ada
>newsgroup to be more useful.

I can't find a charter that says comp.lang.ada is an English-only
newsgroup. In fact, I can't find a charter for comp.lang.ada at all!

Personally, I welcome posts in any language. I like to think that
news:comp.lang.ada is for the international Ada community and that all
nationalities are welcome here. It's true that a posting in English is
more likely to get a reply (and it's also true that Jean-Sébastien
would have been more likely to have got an answer to his question in
news:fr.comp.lang.ada). I have occasionally responded to non-English
posts in other newsgroups, though my responses have necessarily been
in English.

For those of us who aren't very good at foreign languages (including
me), there are now some free web-based services, such as
http://www.freetranslation.com, that provide passable translations of
web sites and usenet articles.

I suppose if we were to stipulate a single language for this
newsgroup, then strictly it ought to be US English, since the Ada LRM
is written in that language. That might cause some difficulties for us
(UK) English speakers, though :-)
--
Dewi Daniels
West Ashton, Wiltshire, England