From: Martin Krischik <krischik@users.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: Feasibility/Requirements/Wishes of xAL (was: Standard Library Interest?)
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 09:48:07 +0200
Date: 2003-10-11T09:48:07+02:00	[thread overview]

http://adadoc.sf.net

> - a style guide. The style guide provides rules and guidelines how to
> format your code. Result should be consistent formatting and naming in
> the code.

GNAT Style check:

--  Enable selected style checks xx = list of parameters:
--  a    check attribute casing
--  b    check no blanks at end of lines
--  c    check comment format
--  e    check end labels present
--  f    check no form feeds/vertical tabs in source
--  h    check no horizontal tabs in source
--  i    check if-then layout
--  k    check casing rules for keywords, identifiers
--  l    check reference manual layout
--  Mnnn check line length &lt;= nnn characters
--          RM-2-2.14 min 200
--  n    check casing of package Standard identifiers
--  p    check pragma casing
--  o    check subprogram bodies in alphabetical order
--  r    check RM column layout
--  s    check separate subprogram specs present
--  t    check token separation rules

My suggestion: "-gnatyabcefhiklnporstM200"

Comments so that Analyze them.

> - reviewers. People who review the code that developers want to be
> included in the library. Because we only want quality code, don't we? The
> question here is: what is quality code and what isn't?

All warnings on should take care of a lot of problems:

--  Enable selected warning modes, xx = list of parameters:
--  a    turn on all optional warnings (except b,h)
--  b    turn on biased rounding warnings
--  c    turn on constant conditional warnings
--  e    treat all warnings as errors
--  f    turn on unreferenced formal warnings
--  h    turn on warnings for hiding variables
--  i*   turn on warnings for implementation units
--  l    turn on elaboration warnings
--  o*   turn on address clause overlay warnings
--  p    turn on warnings for ineffective pragma inline
--  r    turn on redundant construct warnings
--  u    turn on warnings for unused entities
                    --  *    indicates default in above list

Mind you, h is indeed quite tricky: "-gnatwab",

For easier use by beginners I would also suggest to restrict the use of the
"use" clause. Hint: use in procedures only:

procedure Get_ThreadId (
    Retval : out ThreadID)
is
    use Ada.Strings.Unbounded;
    use ThreadID_Map;

> - using proven code. Reinventing the wheel is time consuming and it
> allows the bugs to introduce themself.

Fine.

> And some wishes:
>
> - portability. It's nice to run it on many platforms. But please, no
> preprocessing stuff. That's horrible

I would allow gnatprep - epecialy for portability. AdaCL is done for Linux,
Windows and OS/2 and without gnatprep I would have to make a lot extra
work. Compromise: the preprocessed files need to be checked into the CVS
archive so that non GNAT userst have access to them.

> - CORBA. If all components have a CORBA idl interface, other programming
> languages can use the library too without too much hassle.

Cool. How much extra work?

> - lots of developers. How to lure them?

I am allreasy lured.

With Regards