* Re: ALL ADA PROFESSIONALS ****READ****
@ 1998-01-14  0:00 Sam Harbaugh, Palm Bay, Florida
From: Sam Harbaugh, Palm Bay, Florida @ 1998-01-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

------------------------------
my 2 cents worth:

The Marines should have a need for Ada maintenance which may give some
preference to Ada so that you get some benefit while you are in the service.

However, Network Technician might give you better opportunities after you
get out of the service and enter the civilian work force.

disclaimer: I take no responsibility if you act on my 2 cents worth and it
doesn't work out for you.

Date:    Wed, 14 Jan 1998 00:34:28 GMT
From:    Scott Barrish <TeufelHunde@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
Subject: ALL ADA PROFESSIONALS ****READ****

To all ADA professionals:

I have a question.  I am joining the United States Marine Corps. in Data
Systems.  There are a couple of catagories.  They are Computer Operator,
COBOL programmer, ADA progammer, and Network Technician.  The school I
currently go to, East Stroudsburg University, teaches ADA as its primary
lab language.  I am seriously thinking about going into the USMC as an ADA
programmer.  Is this a good choice, or should I look at the other options?

Sincerely,

Scott B.

------------------------------

* Re: ALL ADA PROFESSIONALS ****READ****
@ 1998-01-14  0:00 ` Mark McKinney
From: Mark McKinney @ 1998-01-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just left the USAF 6 Months ago. It was my experience, that most
anything worth doing was contracted out. I don't know if the Marine
operate the same way.

Mark McKinney

* ALL ADA PROFESSIONALS ****READ****
@ 1998-01-14  0:00 Scott Barrish
From: Scott Barrish @ 1998-01-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1998-01-15  0:00 ` Robert B. Love
From: Robert B. Love  @ 1998-01-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <69h16k$93c@bgtnsc01.worldnet.att.net> "Scott Barrish" wrote:
> To all ADA professionals:
>
> I have a question.  I am joining the United States Marine Corps. in
Data
> Systems.  There are a couple of catagories.  They are Computer
Operator,

Marines _programming_??  What is the world coming to?

First, if you're gonna join up, have some fun.  Join Combat
Arms (infantry, artillery or armor)  You'll get basic infantry
skills but never get to practice them.  Quick, what is the
bursting radius of a for loop?  Software & the Marines seem
kinda like oil & water.

You'll have education benefits when you get out and you'll be able
to take college courses.  You'll be much more hirable after a degree,
not because you know more but because companies are kind of sticklers
for them.

Now I earn a healthy living as an Ada programmer and I joined the
Corps right out of high school but I got to work with explosives.
Not only was it fun but I can get by with cheap speakers.

Good Luck whatever you decide.

PS-you can't call yourself teufelhunde yet.

 Bob Love                                   MIME & NeXT Mail OK
 rlove@neosoft.com                            PGP key available

* Re: ALL ADA PROFESSIONALS ****READ****
@ 1998-01-15  0:00   ` Michael F Brenner
From: Michael F Brenner @ 1998-01-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

The military has a lot of need for programmers because most
weapon systems now have computers in them. The marine corps
is a fine place to learn and practice Ada programming. However,
you will not just do Ada programming. You will work on all
the computers, all the languages, and all the weapons. Ada is
just a way of training you how to think with good design,
good code, good metrics, and good configuration management.

The Marine Corps weapons do not all explode. Many are boats,
planes, computers, antennas, radars, radios, satellites,
three-dimensional maps and sandtables for planning attacks
and defenses, laser holograms, trucks, heliocopters,
devices to connect Marine weapons to Navy weapons,
devices to connect Marine weapons to Aegis weapons,
devices to tell the Air Force that I am a US Marine do not bomb me,
devices to point out targets, evacuation and rescue apparatus,
and methods of stopping enemies from using electronic
countermeasures against your signals.

Programmers are cooler than operators, so sign up as a programmer.

One word of advice. If your recruiter does not give a slip for a
guaranteed job, you do not have a guaranteed job, so you might
be swabbing the deck or guarding an embassy instead of programming
at all.

And dont flunk out of basic or advanced training, because that, too,
will void your guaranteed job as a programmer.  Practice your
algebra and trigonometry now to get a head start on the training.

Finally, when choosing assignments, do not limit yourself to
Marine Bases like MCTSSA at Oceanside Ca or Quantico VA.

Consider the joint assignments at Navy, Army, Air Force, CIA,
DIA, NCA, NSA, national laboratory, and other locations of
unnamable government organizations that work with the USMC to
carry out the defense of the country. You can be a Marine and
do Joint work, that is, work with weenies from other services.

And most of all, enjoy basic training.

Mike Brenner

* Re: ALL ADA PROFESSIONALS ****READ****
@ 1998-01-18  0:00 Sam Harbaugh, Palm Bay, Florida
From: Sam Harbaugh, Palm Bay, Florida @ 1998-01-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Robert B. Love" <rlove@ANTISPAM.NEOSOFT.COM> writes, in part

>Marines _programming_??  What is the world coming to?

The Marines will soon be up to their leather necks in Ada 95

Go to

http://www.jsims.mil/Executive_Office/Related%20Programs/

and search on "marine"