* I'm not here... (was Re: New Ada Windows Technology)
@ 1997-02-09  0:00 David Wood
From: David Wood @ 1997-02-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 11:46 PM 2/7/97 -0800, Dr. Robert Leif wrote:
>From: Robert C. Leif, Ph.D.
>Acting Chair San Diego ACM SigAda
>
>To: San Diego ACM SigAda Members and Other Interested Parties
>
>Date: 7 February, 1997
>
>Announcement: 26 February, 1997 (Wednesday) San Diego ACM SigAda Meeting
>
>Speaker : Jim Dorman, President Active Engineering Technologies, Inc.
>
>Subject: Class Libraries for Ada Windows, CLAW, a thick binding to
>Microsoft Windows TM
>
>Date: Wednesday, 26 February, 1997
>
>Time: 6:30 PM
>
>Lecture Starts promptly at 7:00 PM
>
>Duration: About 1 hour.
>
>Place: AONIX (Thompson) Software Products, which is located at 10251 Vista
>Sorrento Parkway, Suite #300, San Diego, CA  92121-2706.

>--------------------------
>Abstract: The following is an abridgement of the RR SOFTWARE web site,
>http://www.RRSOFTWARE.com
>
>CLAW FOR MICROSOFT WINDOWS NT/95 gives application developers the ability
>to develop Microsoft Windows NT or Windows 95 systems using any ACVC compliant
>Ada 95 compiler. It also provides an object-oriented Ada 95 binding to the
>Win32 Graphical User Interface (GUI) used in Microsoft's Windows NT and
>Windows 95. The front end environment is a GUI builder, with available
>construction tools that allow the creation of GUIs by drawing, with code
>automatically created from the drawn                GUIs.
>
>Claw's object oriented set of libraries provide the user with the necessary
>resources to access the Windows Graphical Interface. Claw allows
>programming in Ada 95 in good Ada form without having to use intermediary
>commands or do further modifications.
>The bindings take care of the entire conversion from Ada 95 to the
>Microsoft Windows 95/NT operating system.
>
>CLAW PROVIDES A THICK BINDING. All bindings are not the same. There are two
>types of bindings: thin and thick. Thin (or direct) bindings are an
>attempted one-for-one
>conversion between the source language and the target interface. Claw is a
>thick binding for Ada 95. It uses tagged types, inheritance, default
>parameters, returns errors as exceptions not error codes, and dynamic
>building to ease the construction of code and to keep the size and
>maintainability of the binding manageable.
>
>Mixed language programs are almost always harder to maintain. By using
>Claw, a programmer does not have to learn any other programming language.
>
>By avoiding the use of both C and C++, the problems of lack of reliability
>and poor safety features may be avoided. Unlike those two languages, Ada is
>designed to be safe, with the opportunity to bypass the features if the
>situation warrants.
>
>The CLAW builder can generate Ada 95 code using the CLAW  binding. The
>generated code is object-oriented, and uses good Ada style. The code uses
>readable identifiers, as selected by the user, which enhances the
>readability and understandability of the
> [...]

I am travelling until February 10, 1997.  If this is
an urgent matter, please direct it to jbrygier@aonix.com.
Otherwise, I will respond as soon as possible when I
return.

-- Dave Wood
-- Product Manager, ObjectAda for Windows
-- Aonix - "Ada with an Attitude"

only message in thread, other threads:[~1997-02-09  0:00 UTC | newest]