From: "Robert C. Leif, Ph.D." <rleif@RLEIF.COM>
Subject: Re: HTML as GNAT source
Date: 1998/02/05
Date: 1998-02-05T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

To: Robert Dewar Ph.D. et al.
From: Bob Leif, Ph.D.
Since the original discussion was on GNAT Chat, one could not presume that
the other compiler vendors and tool manufacturers even knew about this
discussion. Therefore following your previous examples concerning subjects
which were of general relevance to Ada rather than specific to GNAT, I
published my reply on Comp.Lang.Ada.

Although I believe that it is of great benefit to the Ada community to have
tools developed for GNAT, I also strongly believe that every reasonable
effort should be made to provide these tools to other Ada compiler vendors.

I believe that there will be many ASIS based tools, which will be separate
entities from the compilers. Of course, the back ends of these will have to
interface with the specific compiler in use. However, one of the major
purposes of ASIS is to work with all Ada compilers which have implemented
ASIS. An ASIS implementation is one of the great advantages GNAT has over
some of its competitors.
-------