From: Steve Jones - JON <jon@hp755d2.eurocontrol.fr>
Subject: Re: Is Ada obsolete?
Date: 1997/01/30
Date: 1997-01-30T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Peter Williams <Peter.Williams@dsto.defence.gov.au> writes:

> The following (largely unsubstantiated) statement appears in the
> magazine NAVAL FORCES 5/96 in an article "Active Development in Phased
> Array Radars" by Stuart L. Slade
>
> "ADA (sic)  is best suited to relatively small, highly centralized
> computer systems.  Active array radars are at completely the opposite
> end of the spectrum, very large and highly decentralized integrated
> networks.  Possibly, the time has come to recognize the fact that
> decentralization and fully distributed systems have made ADA (sic) as
> obsolete as the thermionic valve."
>
> Interestingly no alternative is suggested.  Is this view refutable?

Certainly, the most upto date Phase (and Multiple) Array Radars are I think
made by Siemens Plessey Defense Systems, and they write the code in Ada.

Also the 200+ seat NERC project is written in Ada.

Etc etc etc.

What Ada is good at is large decentralised systems like this as they involve
reuse of common components.

--
Un Lupe en France  | Cat 1, Cha, Cha, Cha -- NERC offical drinking song
----The above of opinions rarely reflect my own and never my employers------