From: Nick Roberts <nick.roberts@acm.org>
Subject: ECLAT [was: Ada memory management?]
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 23:52:57 +0100
Date: 2004-10-07T23:52:57+01:00	[thread overview]

Luke A. Guest wrote:

>>    http://sourceforge.net/projects/eclat
>
> Erm, how far are you with this project Nick? I've known about it for a
> while and your page doesn't really have anything on it (yet), how about an
> update?

Honest truth is, not very far yet. There are a few docs under the 'Docs' link.

> Also, are you using GCC at all? That would be interesting; it might spur
> some competition with ACT ;-D If you're not using GCC, maybe you should
> try using it to speed up development.

I do want ECLAT to be (friendly :-) competition for GNAT/GCC, both in the
front and and the back end. I think this is a case where it makes sense to
'reinvent the wheel'. If people who are new to Ada ask "Are there any free
compilers?", I think it would sound a lot better to be able to suggest two,
rather than just one. (I know there is ObjectAda, but it is really only a
demo version.)

There are some technical reasons why GNAT and GCC are unsuited to what I
want to achieve.

GNAT's library model is based on source code files directly representing
the library; this model isn't always ideal. I want to provide a compiler
that has the more traditional model of a library being stored in a set of
files which contain all the necessary information (to generate executables)
in a binary form.

I want ECLAT to be able to target the AdaOS native executable format for
the IA-32 (NEAI/IA-32), which is segmented. GCC emits code which is
suitable (only) for a 'flat' memory model, and I think adapting it to
generate code that supports the NEAI/IA-32 segmented architecture would be
difficult.

--
Nick Roberts