From: Craig Carey <research@ijs.co.nz>
Subject: Re: array of strings in a function
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 22:42:03 +1300
Date: 2003-10-30T22:42:03+13:00	[thread overview]

This message corrects unfortunate comments in my last message.

Mr Leroy stated this in a private e-mail to me:

> Not only do I vote at these meetings, but I happen to chair and organize
> them, to choose the agenda, and to propose the member list; so it would
> be curious to be denied a voting power.  At any rate, the ARG has no
> right whatsoever to deny voting power to anyone.  Only WG9 can do this,
> by selecting the membership of the ARG.

  of 27-Oct-2003.

http://www.sigada.org/wg/apiwg/
| ADA APPLICATION PROGRAMMING INTERFACES (API) WORKING GROUP (APIWG)
|
| Stimulates member interactions with development efforts for Ada
| Application Programming Interfaces (APIs), and may develop and
| disseminate a general process for more effective approaches for
| identifying and developing needed APIs.
|
| APIWG's mission is:
| To identify and disseminate issues and recommendations for the
| development and maintenance of Ada APIs.
(APIWG has subgroups on XML, CGI)

---------

ISO JTC1/SC22/WG9 website:

http://std.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC22/WG9/organize.htm#wg9

>ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG9
>
>In turn, SC22 subdivides its scope of work among several Working Groups.
>WG9 is the one given responsibility for "development of ISO standards
>for programming language Ada." WG9's projects must be approved by SC22
>and JTC1. The convener of WG9 is Jim Moore and the webmaster is Clyde
>Roby. The position of secretary is filled by volunteers, most recently
>by Clyde Roby.
>ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG9's Ada Rapporteur Group (ARG)
>
>Chair: Pascal Leroy, [IBM Rational, St Quentin (NE of Paris), France]
>Duties: Language interpretations of Ada 95 comments and issues
>
>Minutes of all ARG meetings are available <http://www.ada-auth.org/>

----------------------

Here is the IBM webpage on the Ada 95 compiler of Rational:
   http://www-3.ibm.com/software/awdtools/developer/ada/

I quit the DeveloperWorks Java newsletter.
Actually it suggests that Java is a great language.

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/dw_thread.jsp?forum=176&thread=22447&cat=10

|  JVM hangs after 2-3 days
|      Posted by: gsala,  2003 Aug. 28 03:04 PM
|
|  After working 2-3 days , the JVM stops responding.
|
| Even kill -3 is not generating a Full thread dump.
|
| J2RE 1.3.1 IBM AIX build ca131-20030329
| (latest available for AIX)
|
| Additional info:
|
| I realized that one of the threads is consuming a lot of CPU
|
| I have the ps output with thread list, but I don't know how to map the
| ps output thread numbers (same that pprof ) to a full thread dump
| thread numbers .

No one replied to gsala.
Comment: An IBM JVM is both unnecessary and it might not last for more
than 2-3 days and if it was a bug in user code then the kill -3
diagnostic would report that (unless occurring after the 520KB truncate
point).

---

There might be a PDF criticising Java later:
  http://www.acm.org/sigada/conf/sigada2003/   Sigada Dec 2003

 "Ada and Real-Time Java: Cooperation, Competition, or Cohabitation?
   [presented by Brosgol of] Ada Core Technologies"

4 PDFs carefully comparing Java with Ada 95:
   ftp://ftp.cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/jgnat/papers/

Craig Carey