From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: High CPU in tasking
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 18:39:30 -0500
Date: 2004-06-30T18:39:30-05:00	[thread overview]

"Lutz Donnerhacke" <lutz@iks-jena.de> wrote in message
news:slrnce5cbd.m1.lutz@taranis.iks-jena.de...
> * Nick Roberts wrote:
> > Do you need to explicitly unregister positions?
>
> I do register readers, because entry families are limited in the number of
> distince values possible. So a level of indirection is necessary is
provided
> by registration.

It should be noted that the limitation on the range of protected entry
families is a weird limitation of some versions of GNAT, and not one
intended/expected by the Ada language. GNAT is the only Ada compiler of the
ones I usually test that has this sort of limitation. Janus/Ada, for
instance, treats protected entry families as an additional parameter to the
entry (which is very different than the way task entry families are
implemented). Perhaps you'd have better performance if you didn't need this
workaround?

                     Randy.