* [GNAT 3.15p] Unexpected exception in Protected_Entry_Call
@ 2006-03-13 14:12 Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2006-03-13 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm seeing a strange exception raised by
System.Tasking.Protected_Objects.Operations.Protected_Entry_Call,
in this code:

      if Ceiling_Violation then

         --  Failed ceiling check

         Initialization.Undefer_Abort (Self_ID);
         raise Program_Error;
      end if;

The exception is apparently triggered by a simple conditional entry
call which is cancelled.  So far, I've only seen this issue on SMP
systems (more precisely: Linux/i386 and Linux/AMD64 (with 32-bit
userland) with NPTL).

The strange thing is that I don't use any fancy priorities, so I'm
surprised that the run-time system detects a ceiling violation.

* Re: [GNAT 3.15p] Unexpected exception in Protected_Entry_Call
@ 2006-03-13 15:57 ` Jean-Pierre Rosen
From: Jean-Pierre Rosen @ 2006-03-13 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Florian Weimer a �crit :
> I'm seeing a strange exception raised by
> System.Tasking.Protected_Objects.Operations.Protected_Entry_Call,
> in this code:
>
>       if Ceiling_Violation then
>
>          --  Failed ceiling check
>
>          Initialization.Undefer_Abort (Self_ID);
>          raise Program_Error;
>       end if;
>
> The exception is apparently triggered by a simple conditional entry
> call which is cancelled.  So far, I've only seen this issue on SMP
> systems (more precisely: Linux/i386 and Linux/AMD64 (with 32-bit
> userland) with NPTL).
>
> The strange thing is that I don't use any fancy priorities, so I'm
> surprised that the run-time system detects a ceiling violation.
This rings an old bell...

I think that there was a bug in 3.15 around those lines, due to an
unitialized priority in some data structure. Did you try it with a
recent version of the compiler?

            J-P. Rosen (rosen@adalog.fr)