From: "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de>
Subject: Re: Addressing MySQL from Ada
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 09:23:01 +0200
Date: 2013-06-10T09:23:01+02:00	[thread overview]

On Sun, 9 Jun 2013 17:27:08 -0700 (PDT), Rick wrote:

> I am in the planning stages of a new project which will involve Ada code
> and a MySQL database.  I have never tried accessing a relational database
> from Ada and I am looking for something like "Addressing MySQL from Ada
> for Dummies".

There is nothing special in MySQL. It is a relational DB as any other
interfaced through SQL.

I would suggest using ODBC rather than MySQL client bindings. You never
know if you stay with a specific RDBMS or switch to another. There are
plenty of RDBMS available. ODBC makes it portable (up to the SQL
statements, of course).

> Does anyone know of a suitable document or book I might try?

I don't know. It is pretty straightforward. You create environment, make a
connection, prepare a statement, bind parameters, execute it, fetch
results. Repeat.

You need to know SQL and its specifics for given DBMS. Ada's part is rather
trivial.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov