From: Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org>
Subject: Re: ada, curses and windows
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 16:08:22 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2009-08-01T16:08:22-07:00	[thread overview]

I wrote on comp.lang.ada:
> Massimo M. wrote on comp.lang.ada:
>
>> i can't use windows in curses.
>> they don't work, i looked for examples, but i find only too
>> complicated examples. can you give me some easy examples in
>> using windows in ada?
>
>> i used
>
>> winInput:=New_Window(Line_Count(8),Column_Count(8),Line_Position(8),Column_Position(8));
>> box(winInput);
>> refresh(winInput);
>
>> but no windows appears...
>> if i use
>> box(standard_window), the box appears.
>
>> thanks in advance
>
> The behaviour you see is correct.  Curses does not draw have window
> borders; you have to draw the borders yourself, e.g. with a "box".
>
> That's what I remember from the two programs I wrote with curses back
> in 1992 or so.

BTW, have you considered TextTools[1,2]? It is a library on top of
curses that draws the window borders for you, offers a widget set
(buttons, scroll bars etc.) and even supports the mouse!

[1] http://www.pegasoft.ca/tt.html
[2] http://packages.qa.debian.org/libt/libtexttools.html

--
Ludovic Brenta.