From: Maurizio Tomasi <ziotom78@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Ada library to read/write matlab files?
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 01:19:04 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2013-10-17T01:19:04-07:00	[thread overview]

On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 5:33:16 PM UTC+2, mockturtle wrote:
> Are you aware of an available library to read/write matlab (binary) files? I tried googling around a bit (just a bit) without finding anything.
>
> As an alternative, something to read/write HDF or CDF (not netCDF since it requires a specific matlab package [if I remember correctly...]).
>
> I would like something "independent", that is, interfacing with other libraries (e.g., matlab API) is something I would rather avoid.

I am not a Matlab user, but I know it can handle FITS files. So you might want to give a try to my library AdaFITS:

https://github.com/ziotom78/adafits

However, I am not sure it will fit your needs, as it has the following caveats:

1. It requires CFITSIO to be installed, so it is not "independent". However, CFITSIO is available in binary form for a variety of platforms.
2. It only reads ASCII/binary tables, there is no support (yet) for reading/writing images.
3. It requires an Ada2012 compiler (but I think should be trivial to make it work with an Ada2005 compiler, and it is definitively something I'll eventually fix).

Maurizio.

P.S. I too am interested in HDF5 bindings for Ada. I have already generated thin bindings using the gcc's trick suggested by Per Sandberg, but I surely will put some more work in them in order to make them easier to use.