* Ada: GNAT's installed base now surpasses that of FreePascal
@ 2009-10-23 18:17 Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2009-10-23 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

From the Bogus Statistics department: according to Debian's Popularity
Contest, the installed base of GNAT now surpasses that of the
FreePascal compiler; it has always also surpassed that of the GNU
Pascal compiler.

Ada is on the rise, I tell you :)

http://qa.debian.org/popcon-graph.php?packages=gnat+gnat-4.1+gnat-4.3+gnat-4.4+fp-compiler+gpc-4.1&show_installed=on&want_legend=on&want_ticks=on&from_date=&to_date=&hlght_date=&date_fmt=%25Y-%25m&beenhere=1

gnat-4.3: ~650 reported installations
fp-compiler: ~620 reported installations
gpc-4.1: ~540 reported installations
gnat-4.1: ~90 reported installations
gnat-4.4: 9 reported installations

If you want to improve these statistics, simply install Debian (not a
derivative*) and be sure to also install the package "popularity-
contest".  This package installs a weekly cron job that anonymously
reports the list of packages you installed.

Debian uses the statistics gathered by popularity-contest to decide
which packages go on the first CD-ROM or DVD-ROM of the distribution.

* The derivatives of Debian either do not carry the package
"popularity-contest" at all or redirect its messages to other
aggregators so that the installations do not appear in the Debian
statistics.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Ada: GNAT's installed base now surpasses that of FreePascal
@ 2009-10-24 17:48 ` Gautier write-only
From: Gautier write-only @ 2009-10-24 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Impressive statistics!
Coincidentally, I just found in the FreePascal sources, under
"packages", some nice sources that have not yet been translated - for
instance through P2Ada ( http://p2ada.sf.net/ ). It's worth browsing a
bit...
Gautier

* Re: Ada: GNAT's installed base now surpasses that of FreePascal
@ 2009-10-27 18:40   ` Gautier write-only
From: Gautier write-only @ 2009-10-27 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 24 oct, 18:48 I wrote:
> Coincidentally, I just found in the FreePascal sources, under
> "packages", some nice sources that have not yet been translated - for
> instance through P2Ada (http://p2ada.sf.net/). It's worth browsing a
> bit...
Oh, just in case, useless to try with the bzip2 decoder, it translated
now and in a very good shape already :-) .
Gautier's Ada programming -- http://sf.net/users/gdemont/