From: David Botton <david@botton.com>
Subject: Re: Trying to make XMLada use a validating SAX Parser
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2015 20:42:58 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2015-06-06T20:42:58-07:00	[thread overview]

>And I'm even thinking about returning some contribution by adding Oracle support in their gnatcoll SQL library, once I got my head around this library too.

I hope you would consider releasing that as a separate project from GnatCOLL do to its license issues.

> And I don't mind they have a business model with professional support, we all have to have a revenue.

Everyone agrees with and I am the first one to talk about AdaCore's professional top notch support product. The problem is using the GPL run time as a negative lever to encourage business instead of the playing up the true value they have as an awesome support company, taking a leadership role, etc.

It's a funny position for me to be in, I like them genuinely as people, believe in their support product (been on both sides of the table and can say wonderful at both ends) but am ashamed at the negative end of the business model that was taken in desperation and lacking creativity with the belief it would hold in more customers instead of taking a positive directions.

I often regret that 11 years ago I didn't made a bigger deal about it instead of just walking away from Ada and my one projects in it. So I take some blame for taking the easy way out myself then, but doing what I can now.

David Botton