From: Adam Beneschan <adam@irvine.com>
Subject: Re: system call
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 08:40:34 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2011-08-15T08:40:34-07:00	[thread overview]

On Aug 13, 11:43 am, "philippe.tor...@free.fr"
<philippe.tor...@free.fr> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a program, the time of his execution, constructed images, in fact
> files in PPM (P3, plain text mode)
> In short, the program does not deal with the viewing of these images
> (failing to find a library to do ...)
>
> So I want to entrust this task to an external application (imview,
> xview, qiv ... etc):
>
> res = system ("imview out.ppm");
>
> But each time this code is a new process
> image viewer (here imview) that arises.
>
> My application is waiting while I close imview to move to
> the next iteration.
>
> Well, now you have guessed the question for each passage on the line above,
> I would like the external program (imview, qiv, xview ... whatever), load a new image
>
> Regards!

I'm not real clear on what you're trying to do.  But it sounds like
you want to run imview or some other program once, and have your
program tell that program to display a new image whenever it wants to
display something new.  In order for that to work, the image displayer
has to be set up to accept that kind of communication.

However, if by "imview" you mean the program documented at
http://hugues.zahlt.info/software_imview.html, that program appears to
have a server mode.  So you'll need to run it in server mode and then
communicate with it via a TCP/IP socket.  The documentation should
explain how to do this, but I haven't looked over it carefully.

I hope this is helpful.  I don't really know anything about this
program and just did a quick Google search to see if I could come up
with something helpful.  But it might be just what you're looking
for.  If it's not helpful at all, sorry.

                                      -- Adam