* FYI: used ada books are cheap
@ 2012-03-25 14:38 Patrick
From: Patrick @ 2012-03-25 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am still having some trouble with some topics like tasking. I
ordered more books to help. Ada 83 vintage books are about $1 used and
Ada 95 books are about $5. Shipping is about $5-7 dollars per book
from the UK to Canada or the US to Canada.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?kn=ada+programming&sts=t&x=0&y=0

I ordered 2 new books and about 10 used ones. I can feedbak once I
receive them if anyone is interested.

Hope this helps-Patrick

* Re: FYI: used ada books are cheap
@ 2012-03-26  7:13 ` onox
From: onox @ 2012-03-26  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mar 25, 4:38 pm, Patrick <patr...@spellingbeewinnars.org> wrote:
> I am still having some trouble with some topics like tasking. I
> ordered more books to help. Ada 83 vintage books are about $1 used and
> Ada 95 books are about $5. Shipping is about $5-7 dollars per book
> from the UK to Canada or the US to Canada.
>
> http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?kn=ada+programming&sts=...
>
> I ordered 2 new books and about 10 used ones. I can feedbak once I
> receive them if anyone is interested.
>
> Hope this helps-Patrick

Tasking in Ada is easy :) I wouldn't use an Ada 83 or 95 book though
(2005 introduced synchronized interfaces). I bought Programming in Ada
2005 (even though I am a poor student ;)) and found it quite useful
(although it doesn't really explain certain concepts or why things are
the way they are) You can also read about tasking at
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ada_Programming/Tasking and
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ada_Programming/Keywords/interface (some
presentation about lego mindstorms during fosdem 2012 explains how
tasking and Ravenscar profile works on embedded systems)

Via a link in a post of somebody on this newsgroup to Globe_3D I found
a course on concurrent and distributed systems of some Australian
university which uses Ada; lecture 3 (synchronization) explains
protected objects and Ada rendezvous (synchronous message-passing). I
didn't know about entry families and suspension objects!

* Re: FYI: used ada books are cheap
@ 2012-03-26 10:16   ` onox
From: onox @ 2012-03-26 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mar 26, 9:13 am, onox <denkpa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Via a link in a post of somebody on this newsgroup to Globe_3D I found
> a course on concurrent and distributed systems of some Australian
> university which uses Ada; lecture 3 (synchronization) explains
> protected objects and Ada rendezvous (synchronous message-passing). I
> didn't know about entry families and suspension objects!

Forgot to add the link: http://cs.anu.edu.au/student/comp2310/Level-0/Contents.html

* Re: FYI: used ada books are cheap
@ 2012-03-27  2:46     ` Patrick
From: Patrick @ 2012-03-27  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi onox

I basically get tasking but could easily trip over it, I'd like to
read more. Thanks for the link to the slides, these look great

* Re: FYI: used ada books are cheap
@ 2012-03-29 16:19   ` Nicholas Paul Collin Gloucester
From: Nicholas Paul Collin Gloucester @ 2012-03-29 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On March 26th, 2012, onox <denkpadje@gmail.com> sent:
|"On Mar 25, 4:38?pm, Patrick <patr...@spellingbeewinnars.org> wrote:      |
|> I am still having some trouble with some topics like tasking. I         |
|> ordered more books to help. Ada 83 vintage books are about $1 used and  |
|> Ada 95 books are about $5. Shipping is about $5-7 dollars per book      |
|> from the UK to Canada or the US to Canada.                              |
|>                                                                         |
|> http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?kn=ada+programming&sts=...|
|>                                                                         |
|> I ordered 2 new books and about 10 used ones. I can feedbak once I      |
|> receive them if anyone is interested.                                   |
|>                                                                         |
|> Hope this helps-Patrick                                                 |
|Tasking in Ada is easy :) I wouldn't use an Ada 83 or 95 book though      |
|(2005 introduced synchronized interfaces). [. . .]                        |

Tasking is not everyhting, though tasking is important.

Books for Ada 83 and Ada 95 are worth reading.

Some reviews by me are available from
ACCU.org