From: Rugxulo <rugxulo@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Alsys 5.3 on MS DOS 6.22 in VMWare?
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 13:56:07 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2012-03-30T13:56:07-07:00	[thread overview]

Hi,

On Mar 30, 1:35 pm, jfgall...@gmail.com wrote:

> I'm seeing some discussion about the old Alsys compiler and VMWare on this group, but not both at the same time, so I'll risk asking...
>
> We have this older (... much... older...) product that we need to support. It is an embedded 80386 target. The application is in Ada 83, and was compiled with the Alsys compiler.
>
> The compiler works fine, and indeed the binaries that come out of it are valid and run on the platform. What doesn't work is the AdaPROBE debugger.
>
> I've tried everything I could think of and am running out of ideas. Any help appreciated.

(Note that I don't know Ada and have never use Alsys, but I enjoy
DOS.)

A lot of VMs have bugs and omissions because DOS isn't used nor wanted
nearly as much as other OSes. I'd be surprised if debugging
(presumably 386 hardware debugging registers) was fully supported nor
serial port stuff, etc.

I honestly can only suggest you use a different VM (though I know
VirtualBox has bugs, ugh, hope you have VT-X).

And (at the very least!) be sure to ask in one of the DOS-oriented
groups like news://comp.os.msdos.programmer or even on FreeDOS'
mailing lists (e.g. freedos-user). I know at least two guys in FreeDOS
use VMware a lot (Bernd, Eduardo), so it can't hurt to ask. And
Japheth is the resident debugging expert there.