From: Michael Bolton <michael.a.bolton@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Am I "Overqualified"?
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 07:28:39 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2008-02-01T07:28:39-08:00	[thread overview]

> It seems that lately, I have been turned down for an increasing number
> of assignments, because I am "overqualified."

> If you want, you can chck my resume at the bottom of our home
> page:

>    http://www.toa.com

> Any constructive feedback would be greatly appreciated.

"Overqualified" from a potential client might mean "involved in too
many things that aren't important to me".

Think about your reader.  /Your reader is not you./  His interests are
very different from yours.  Your reader has two issues:

1) He has a problem that he wants solved or task he wants done.

2) He wants to find quickly someone who can solve that problem for
him.

ANYTHING that slows him down in this task is going to work against
you.  He isn't interested in anything that isn't relevant to solving
his problem, and he's certainly not interested in slogging through 11
pages of biography and citations.  Focus on your potential client's
needs.  Your covering letter is closer to the idea--but then you ask
him to look up a whole bunch of stuff on the Web.

One more hint:  your client may need someone who is able to summarize.

---Michael B.