* GNAT problem: Hello World
@ 1994-12-05 23:51 Jacob Sparre Andersen
From: Jacob Sparre Andersen @ 1994-12-05 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've got a problem with GNAT-1.83-DOS (just downloaded from ftp.cdrom.com
yesterday):

The Hello.adb example freezes the computer when I try
to run it. It seems to compile and link fine.

Could somebody please help me (or point me to some help).

Regards,
--
Worth reading: "Playing Chess on a Go Board", Sci. Am. Nov. 1994 (p 108-111)
--

* Re: GNAT problem: Hello World
@ 1994-12-06 12:18 ` W ALI
From: W ALI @ 1994-12-06 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jacob Sparre Andersen (sparre@meyer.fys.ku.dk) wrote:
: I've got a problem with GNAT-1.83-DOS (just downloaded from ftp.cdrom.com
: yesterday):

: The Hello.adb example freezes the computer when I try
: to run it. It seems to compile and link fine.

: Could somebody please help me (or point me to some help).

: Regards,
: --
: Worth reading: "Playing Chess on a Go Board", Sci. Am. Nov. 1994 (p 108-111)
: --
: URL's: "mailto:sparre@nbi.dk", "http://meyer.fys.ku.dk/~sparre",
:        "mailto:sparre+@pitt.edu" & "http://www.pitt.edu/~sparre".
: --
: "We need a plan to diverge from", Fesser

I'm having exactly the same problem too !

I've even tried typing a short program myself, but this tells me that the
program is too big for memory.  This is impossible as it is only a few
lines long.  Anybody ?

* Re: GNAT problem: Hello World
@ 1994-12-07 23:14 Bennett, Chip (KTR) ~U
From: Bennett, Chip (KTR) ~U @ 1994-12-07 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

and W ALI <W.Ali1@BRADFORD.AC.UK> writes:

> I'm having exactly the same problem too !
>
> I've even tried typing a short program myself, but this tells me that the
> program is too big for memory.  This is impossible as it is only a few
> lines long.  Anybody ?

Are you remembering that "gnatbl" in 1.83 does not create a .EXE file, but
rather a COFF executable.  If you create your executable with:

     gnatbl test1 -o test1

Then you can execute it with:

     go32 test1

or convert it to a DOS executable with:

     coff2exe test1

I've heard that "gnatbl" in GNAT 2.00 generates DOS executables directly.

By the way, send all problems with GNAT to gnat-report@cs.nyu.edu.  Your
welcome Robert.  8-)

* Chip Bennett, GDE Systems Inc | BennettC@j64.stratcom.af.mil  *
* USSTRATCOM/J64213             | Voice (402)294-7360           *
* 901 SAC Blvd, Suite 2B24      | FAX   (402)294-7912           *
* Offutt AFB, NE 68113-6600     | Proud member of Team Ada      *
* Opinions expressed here are my own _so_,  TTFWTW              *

* Re: GNAT problem: Hello World
@ 1994-12-08  9:44   ` Peter Hermann
From: Peter Hermann @ 1994-12-08  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

W ALI (W.Ali1@bradford.ac.uk) wrote:
: Jacob Sparre Andersen (sparre@meyer.fys.ku.dk) wrote:
: : I've got a problem with GNAT-1.83-DOS (just downloaded from ftp.cdrom.com
: : yesterday):

: : The Hello.adb example freezes the computer when I try
: : to run it. It seems to compile and link fine.

: : Could somebody please help me (or point me to some help).

: I'm having exactly the same problem too !

: I've even tried typing a short program myself, but this tells me that the
: program is too big for memory.  This is impossible as it is only a few
: lines long.  Anybody ?

some time ago I posted the remedy but this obviously did not arrive.
So, once again the remedy:

Maybe some of the problems can be removed for some
by looking at my compile-link-go - file I produced
yesterday evening after getting angry about myself
having forgotten to apply the @#*% "coff2exe" step:

begin of contents of command file clg.bat on MSDOS6.2 :
gcc -c %1.adb
gnatbl -o %1 %1.ali
coff2exe %1
%1
end   of contents of command file clg.bat on MSDOS6.2

I am using this multistep with one parameter
(where tst is the unit name AND the filename(part) ):

   clg tst

When I have other packages to "with"
I compile them (first) separately with e.g.:
   gcc -c tstpak.ads
and
   gcc -c tstpak.adb
and then finally compile, link, go with
   clg tst

The good news: it works :-)
The bad news: It's nowhere documented (at least
              not inlined the cookbook recipes ;-)

--
Peter Hermann  Tel:+49-711-685-3611 Fax:3758 ph@csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de
Pfaffenwaldring 27, 70569 Stuttgart Uni Computeranwendungen

* Re: GNAT problem: Hello World
@ 1994-12-08 20:05   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1994-12-08 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

alwys send messages to gnat-report for help on GNAT. Proibably the error
her is the failure to run cofftoexe (see DJPP documentation). The requirement
for doing this is eliminated in versiuon 2.00 (where GNATBL does this
automatically).

* Re: GNAT problem: Hello World
@ 1994-12-09  3:04 ` Michael Feldman
From: Michael Feldman @ 1994-12-09  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <2EE640BF@SMTPGATE2.STRATCOM.AF.MIL>,
Bennett, Chip (KTR) ~U <BennettC@J64.STRATCOM.AF.MIL> wrote:
>Jacob Sparre Andersen <sparre@MEYER.FYS.KU.DK> writes:

>Are you remembering that "gnatbl" in 1.83 does not create a .EXE file, but
>rather a COFF executable.  If you create your executable with:
>
>     gnatbl test1 -o test1
>
>Then you can execute it with:
>
>     go32 test1

This has not been explained very well in NYU's documentation; I think
they are changing the docs. It is inherent in the djgpp system that
GNAT rides on top of. Read the djgpp.faq file that is (I think)
included in the djgpp zipfile.

>or convert it to a DOS executable with:
>
>     coff2exe test1

which produces test1.exe.

>I've heard that "gnatbl" in GNAT 2.00 generates DOS executables directly.

True. Doug Rupp has very considerately included the coff2exe step in
this version of gnatbl. A round of applause for Doug!

>By the way, send all problems with GNAT to gnat-report@cs.nyu.edu.  Your
>welcome Robert.  8-)

Amen to that.

Mike Feldman

* Re: GNAT problem: Hello World
@ 1994-12-09  3:37 ` Dave Retherford
From: Dave Retherford @ 1994-12-09  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <2EE640BF@SMTPGATE2.STRATCOM.AF.MIL>,
Bennett, Chip (KTR) ~U <BennettC@J64.STRATCOM.AF.MIL> wrote:
> Jacob Sparre Andersen <sparre@MEYER.FYS.KU.DK> writes:
>
> > I've got a problem with GNAT-1.83-DOS (just downloaded from ftp.cdrom.com
> > yesterday):
> >
> > The Hello.adb example freezes the computer when I try
> > to run it. It seems to compile and link fine.
> >
> > Could somebody please help me (or point me to some help).
>
> and W ALI <W.Ali1@BRADFORD.AC.UK> writes:
>
> > I'm having exactly the same problem too !
> >
> > I've even tried typing a short program myself, but this tells me that the
> > program is too big for memory.  This is impossible as it is only a few
> > lines long.  Anybody ?
>
> Are you remembering that "gnatbl" in 1.83 does not create a .EXE file, but
> rather a COFF executable.  If you create your executable with:
>
>      gnatbl test1 -o test1
>
> Then you can execute it with:
>
>      go32 test1
>
> or convert it to a DOS executable with:
>
>      coff2exe test1
>
> I've heard that "gnatbl" in GNAT 2.00 generates DOS executables directly.

It does.  I just downloaded it from nyu and installed it over my 1.83
installation and then compiled the hello world example with no problem.
It does build an .exe file right out of gnatbl.  One caution, make sure
that when you run gnatbl that you use the -o option and name your file
xxx.exe (DOS expects either a .exe or .com or .bat file when typed at the
command line).

> By the way, send all problems with GNAT to gnat-report@cs.nyu.edu.  Your
> welcome Robert.  8-)

Right!  Not that I'm tired of Robert's posts, but I'm sure that his poor
old fingers can use a break from

	... for GNAT problems send a message to gnat-re.......

:-).

Dave.
--
 Dave Retherford                      |
  Daver@Neosoft.com  or:              |

* Re: GNAT problem: Hello World
@ 1994-12-09 15:16 roump
From: roump @ 1994-12-09 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Subject: Re: GNAT problem: Hello World
>From: daver@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM (Dave Retherford)
>Newsgroups: comp.lang.ada
>Date: 8 Dec 1994 21:37:38 -0600
>
>In article <2EE640BF@SMTPGATE2.STRATCOM.AF.MIL>,
>Bennett, Chip (KTR) ~U <BennettC@J64.STRATCOM.AF.MIL> wrote:
>> Jacob Sparre Andersen <sparre@MEYER.FYS.KU.DK> writes:
>>
>> > I've got a problem with GNAT-1.83-DOS (just downloaded from ftp.cdrom.com
>> > yesterday):
>> >
>> > The Hello.adb example freezes the computer when I try
>> > to run it. It seems to compile and link fine.
>> >
>> > Could somebody please help me (or point me to some help).
>>
>> and W ALI <W.Ali1@BRADFORD.AC.UK> writes:
>>
>> > I'm having exactly the same problem too !
>> >
>> > I've even tried typing a short program myself, but this tells me that the
>> > program is too big for memory.  This is impossible as it is only a few
>> > lines long.  Anybody ?
>>
>> Are you remembering that "gnatbl" in 1.83 does not create a .EXE file, but
>> rather a COFF executable.  If you create your executable with:
>>
>>      gnatbl test1 -o test1
>>
>> Then you can execute it with:
>>
>>      go32 test1
>>
>> or convert it to a DOS executable with:
>>
>>      coff2exe test1
>>
>> I've heard that "gnatbl" in GNAT 2.00 generates DOS executables directly.
>>

>It does.  I just downloaded it from nyu and installed it over my 1.83
>installation and then compiled the hello world example with no problem.
>It does build an .exe file right out of gnatbl.  One caution, make sure
>that when you run gnatbl that you use the -o option and name your file
>xxx.exe (DOS expects either a .exe or .com or .bat file when typed at the
>command line).
>

>> By the way, send all problems with GNAT to gnat-report@cs.nyu.edu.  Your
>> welcome Robert.  8-)
>>

>Right!  Not that I'm tired of Robert's posts, but I'm sure that his poor
>old fingers can use a break from
>
>	... for GNAT problems send a message to gnat-re.......
>
>:-).
>

>Dave.
>--
> Dave Retherford                      |
>  Daver@Neosoft.com  or:              |
>  Dave_Retherford@hso.link.com [work] |

  From my experience, it seems that the coff2exe program does not
  generate a real MS-DOS executable.  It still needs to find
  the go32.exe program in order to run the file.  I found this out
  when I tried typing "hello" and my PATH did not have the directory
  containing go32, thereby causing it to complain about not finding
  go32.  So my question is the following: What does coff2exe do for
  you besides save you a little typing?  Am I missing something here?
  You couldn't take your "exe" file to another machine and run it.
  You would have to bring along some additional baggage.

  Thanks,
  Pete R.
Hello there

* Re: GNAT problem: Hello World
@ 1994-12-12 15:48 ` Pascal OBRY
From: Pascal OBRY @ 1994-12-12 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well actualy you can create a real .exe program with go32 in it.

	coff2exe -s go32.exe <prog name>

This will create a program sufficient by itself.

Pascal.
--

--|---------------------------------------------------------------
--| Pascal OBRY			e-mail: pascal.obry@der.edf.fr   |

* Re: GNAT problem: Hello World
@ 1994-12-14 20:01   ` Jack Beidler
From: Jack Beidler @ 1994-12-14 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3c8je2$n99@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM>, daver@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM (Dave Retherford) writes:
|> In article <2EE640BF@SMTPGATE2.STRATCOM.AF.MIL>,
|> Bennett, Chip (KTR) ~U <BennettC@J64.STRATCOM.AF.MIL> wrote:

|> > Are you remembering that "gnatbl" in 1.83 does not create a .EXE file, but
|> > rather a COFF executable.  If you create your executable with:
|> >
|> >      gnatbl test1 -o test1
|> >
|> > Then you can execute it with:
|> >
|> >      go32 test1
|> >
|> > or convert it to a DOS executable with:
|> >
|> >      coff2exe test1
|> >
|> > I've heard that "gnatbl" in GNAT 2.00 generates DOS executables directly.

I have used version 1.83 in DOS since it has become available and
I now have at least a dozen students attacking v. 1.83 in a DOS
environment with great success.  I have a copy of the CDROM but
I have not used that copy.

|> > I've heard that "gnatbl" in GNAT 2.00 generates DOS executables directly.

TRUE:  I've been using 2.00 in DOS for about a week and, yes, it
creates DOS executable files (I found out the hard way, I have this
terrible habit of not reading readme files).
|John (Jack) Beidler                    ++   beidler@cs.uofs.edu  |
|  Professor, Computing Sciences Dept. ++                         |
|  University of Scranton             ++  (717) 941-7446 (voice)  |
| Scranton, PA 18510                 ++     (717) 941-4250 (FAX)  |