From: "Bennett, Chip (KTR) ~U" <BennettC@J64.STRATCOM.AF.MIL>
Subject: Re: Using procedures
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 1994 13:42:00 PST
Date: 1994-12-05T13:42:00-08:00	[thread overview]

Bill Heiser <bill@BHHOME.BH.ORG> wrote:

> I am down to the wire and have to complete a couple of Ada programs ASAP.
> There is something I just don't get about using procedures in Ada.
> If I have a program with multiple procedures, how do I get all of
> them to run?  If I try to call one from another, the compiler
> complains of undeclared identifiers.
> i.e.
>
>     with text_io;
>     procedure putv(i: OUT integer) is
>     begin
>       for i in 1..5 loop
>       text_io.put(integer'image(i));
>       end loop;
>
>    end putv;
>
>     with text_io;
>     procedure puty(j: OUT integer) is
>     begin
>       for j in 1..5 loop
>       text_io.put(integer'image(j));
>       end loop;
>     end puty;
>
> How (for example) do I call putv from puty?  If I try a "putv(something)",
> the compiler complains that putv is an undeclared identifier.  If I run
> this little program as-is, it runs, but only one of the functions runs
> (I get a "1-5", not two sets of them as I'd expect).
>
> I'm really down to the wire to get these programs done for school, so
> any help would be much appreciated.
>
> BTW, this is for Ada/6000 release 3.3 on an RS/6000 running AIX 3.2.5.
>
> Thanks,
> Bill
> --
> Bill Heiser:    bill@bh.org     http://www.bh.org/
> PGP public key available upon request.

Bill, your question shows you either haven't read the book, or you're not
listening in class, so I'll be brief and leave "the proof as an exercise"
:-).  Nest the subroutine or put it in a package.  (If I've misjudged the
situation I apologize.)

But this brings up a bigger point that is the real reason I bother to post
this.  I want to promote Ada, but I question whether doing a students
homework is going too far.  Comments?

* Chip Bennett, GDE Systems Inc | BennettC@j64.stratcom.af.mil  *
* USSTRATCOM/J64213             | Voice (402)294-7360           *
* 901 SAC Blvd, Suite 2B24      | FAX   (402)294-7912           *
* Offutt AFB, NE 68113-6600     | Proud member of Team Ada      *
* Opinions expressed here are my own _so_,  TTFWTW              *