From: "Bennett, Chip (KTR) ~U" <BennettC@J64.STRATCOM.AF.MIL>
Subject: Re: WE NEED A GOOD Ada SORT PACKAGE!
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 1994 13:19:00 PST
Date: 1994-11-02T13:19:00-08:00	[thread overview]

ferguson@TRON.BWI.WEC.COM wrote:

> We are looking for a generic Ada sort package that will be efficient for
> extremely large numbers of records residing on disk (~700,000), occupying
about
> 20 MB of memory, which are locally out of order (i.e. the data are only
> unordered in a small region of the whole).  The application will reside on
> UNIX workstation.  If there are commercially available sort packages, we'd
sure
> like to know where they are!  We are not sure whether the GRACE or BOOCH
> components have any robust sort packages for large data sets.

I am looking at a copy of "Software Components with Ada", the book that
accompanies the Booch components.  Under the topic of "external sorting", it
shows the specs for two utilities: natural merge sort and polyphase sort.  I
believe the book is available separately.  Any help?

(By the way, I know we're sensitive around here about not capitalizing Ada,
but since you were shouting in your "Subject", it probably would have been
OK.  :-)

* Chip Bennett, GDE Systems Inc | BennettC@j64.stratcom.af.mil  *
* USSTRATCOM/J64213             | Voice (402)294-7360           *
* 901 SAC Blvd, Suite 2B24      | FAX   (402)294-7912           *
* Offutt AFB, NE 68113-6600     | Opinions expressed are my own *