* Re: Government Policy in Ada Acquisitions
@ 1994-09-07 19:09 Wilson, Jon, INET ----
From: Wilson, Jon, INET ---- @ 1994-09-07 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Colin James III The Rt Rev'd <cjames@NYX.CS.DU.EDU>
> Re the shot across the bow from Jim Thomes (writing from
> aetechca@powergrid.electriciti.com), I specifically agree
> with Thomes naming only two individuals as relative opposites
> in his piece:  Ralph Crafts and Robert Dewar.

Well, I've been receiving the adalist for nearly a year and have
never replied back to the list, soooo...

While Mr Thomes made several valid points, his primary concern
is his business (as it should be). Unfortunately, there
will always be those in the government who have the authority
to purchase, but not the sense to avoid "snake-oil" salesmen and
vapor/bug ware. No matter how good GNAT gets, it will not
keep people from buying Ada compilers and products.

I know of a government agency (4 years ago) that disposed of an
entire cabinet full of compilers and "development environments"
(bugware?) that was purchased based on promises of future releases,
complete X-window bindings, etc, etc, but the net value was recyclable
paper and blank disks. The actual product was so poor that it was
deemed unsuitable for training, let alone development. If Mr Thomes
could sell that, then he should have no problem selling his current
products.

Jon Wilson

only message in thread, other threads:[~1994-09-07 19:09 UTC | newest]