* Re: Output to screen without new_line..
@ 1994-09-06 17:52 Bennett, Chip (KTR) ~U
From: Bennett, Chip (KTR) ~U @ 1994-09-06 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ross Irvine writes:

> I would like to know on a VAX/VMS 6.1 platform, how flush the output
buffer..

> Eg..
>
> text_io.put("Enter Name : ");
> text_io.get(name);
>
> the problem is "Enter name : " will not be displayed to the screen without
> doing a new_line after it. This would screw up the screen outlay, so I
> need a way of flushing the buffer after a put statement. In Meridian DOS
> ada there is spio.flush that will do it, but I have yet to find out a way
> to do this on a VAX system..

> Could you please e-mail me any responses as I need this for an
assignment..

When I run your example in Meridian DOS Ada, I don't need a flush.  My
experience is that when dealing with standard IO, whether from Ada, or C, a
"get" from the standard IN channel flushes the standard OUT channel as a
matter of course.  Is this not true on under VMS?

I also tried this using VADS on a Sun, and Intermetrics under MVS.  It
worked properly in both cases.  If this doesn't work in VMS, I suspect a
bug!  (Oh no!)  ;-)

* Chip Bennett           | BennettC@j64.stratcom.af.mil     *
* USSTRATCOM/J64213      | Voice (402)294-7360         *
* 901 SAC Blvd, Suite 2B24    | FAX   (402)294-7912         *
* Offutt AFB, NE 68113-6600   |                   *

only message in thread, other threads:[~1994-09-06 17:52 UTC | newest]