From: "Bandor, Michael S. (SSgt)" <BandorM@J64.STRATCOM.AF.MIL>
Subject: RE: Air Force using C Coding Standards to Assess Ada Projects
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 93 10:06:00 PDT	[thread overview]

I passed around the posting that Greg submitted to several personnel in
various offices in US Strategic Command (USSTRATCOM).  Based on their
b. the evaluators/source got a hold of the wrong standards to evaluate their
code by. I have "filtered" the responses to keep specifics about the sources
somewhat anonymous.  Here are the responses that I received:

Response #1 (from SAF level):

    The information regarding the AFOTEC volumes is dated and the
conclusions sent forth to Greg are just plain wrong.  I know for a fact that
 AFOTEC has a method for specifically evaluating Ada.  I know because I was
the chief of the methodology division that came out with it (back in 1990).
 This coincided nicely with the direction that came out of Mr Mosemann's
office for the AF policy on Ada.

     The only thing official is to look at the date/title of the evaluation
pamphlet.  There have been updates to the pamphlets as the need arose.  I
suspect someone didn't take the time to research what version of the
pamphlet they had in their hands before blasting a loose cannon at the wrong
target.  A responsible person would ensure that they checked to make sure
they had the right method to apply to the evaluation as well as the most
current version of the methodology.

     AFOTEC already knows about this message.  It's funny how such a
credible software organization (that has been publicly praised by the other
services as having the best software test methods around - so much that two
of the other three services have torn off the AF cover and replaced with
their own) is taking such a ripping over a poorly executed evaluation.

Response #2 (USSTRATCOM):

I'm always a bit skeptical when I see something from Mr Aharonian.  I think
he tends to e-mail before he thinks sometimes.

I've worked with the AFOTEC people on creating a Vol 3 for Ada.  The
publication was due to be finished late last year.  If a "C" Vol 3 was
indeed used for the evaluation as stated in Mr Aharonian's message, I wager
is was by mistake.  (As an aside:  I didn't know there was a Vol 3 that used
"C" examples.  The original publication used until early this year had
FORTRAN examples).  AFOTEC has made a concerted effort to incorporate
Ada-related evaluation objectives into its procedures.  I think Mr Aharonian
has been fed some bad data.

Mike Bandor, SSgt, USAF
NCOIC, Comm Gateway Software Engineering Team
Command Center Processing and Display System - Replacement
(CCPDS-R)
USSTRATCOM/J6454
Offutt AFB, NE

Internet/DDN:  STRATJ645@STRATHOST.STRATCOM.AF.MIL   or