* Redhat Linux 9.0 and Gnat
@ 2003-10-06 19:23 Mark Doherty
From: Mark Doherty @ 2003-10-06 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am new to Linux and have installed a full installation of Linux from
redhat (9). I then updated to the latest versions of most RPMs using
redhat network. This has installed gcc 3.2. I have tried to install
AWS and the compiler does not recognise pragma Unreferenced. I have
got round it for the moment by removing the -gnatwe style switches.
I don't understand why the pragma Unreferenced has been removed in a
later version of GCC. It seems like a good pragma to me. Is there
another pragma to use instead.

Am I wasting my time using gcc 3.2 until GNAT supports it. (I am not
sure what version of gnat I am using because I don't know the Linux
command that tells me). If so how do I go back to 2.8.1.

Do all the components compiled with gcc 3.2 need to be recompiled,
how?
Should I install Redhat 7.x instead?

Having gone through the initial installation pain of Linux (UK BT
broadband modem), I am not going back to Windows!

Mark

* Re: Redhat Linux 9.0 and Gnat
@ 2003-10-06 20:03 ` sk
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: sk @ 2003-10-06 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

Mark Doherty <mark_doherty@yahoo.co.uk>:
 > Am I wasting my time using gcc 3.2 until GNAT supports it. (I am not
 > sure what version of gnat I am using because I don't know the Linux
 > command that tells me). If so how do I go back to 2.8.1.

You could just install GNAT 3.15p and set your $PATH.

My path has "/usr/gnat/bin:/usr/bin ..." so that GNAT gcc
is always invoked before the system gcc.

Other GNAT/Linux users prefer to create sym-link "gnatgcc" which
refers to "/usr/gnat/bin/gcc" rather than set the $PATH.

-- Merge vertically for real address
--
--     s n p @ t . o
--      k i e k c c m

* Re: Redhat Linux 9.0 and Gnat
@ 2003-10-06 23:45 ` Jeff C,
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jeff C, @ 2003-10-06 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Mark Doherty" <mark_doherty@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> I am new to Linux and have installed a full installation of Linux from
> redhat (9). I then updated to the latest versions of most RPMs using
> redhat network. This has installed gcc 3.2. I have tried to install
> AWS and the compiler does not recognise pragma Unreferenced. I have
> got round it for the moment by removing the -gnatwe style switches.
> I don't understand why the pragma Unreferenced has been removed in a
> later version of GCC. It seems like a good pragma to me. Is there
> another pragma to use instead.
>
> Am I wasting my time using gcc 3.2 until GNAT supports it. (I am not
> sure what version of gnat I am using because I don't know the Linux
> command that tells me). If so how do I go back to 2.8.1.
>
> Do all the components compiled with gcc 3.2 need to be recompiled,
> how?
> Should I install Redhat 7.x instead?
>
> Having gone through the initial installation pain of Linux (UK BT
> broadband modem), I am not going back to Windows!
>
> Mark

Actually ACT already supports GNAT based on a gcc 3.2 code base it is just
that gcc 3.2 does not have the most up to date GNAT code in it.

You can either go back to gnat-3.15p (which is still going to be missing
some features that
you might want or need) or you can upgrade to GNAT 5.01 by building it
yourself from the CVS sources
http://libre.act-europe.fr/GNAT/

There are directions on how to build it somewhere in  CVS.

It seems scary but just follow them exactly and you will be ok.

Note that whatever version you use I believe there are some tasking issues
with Redhat 9 and GNAT due to the
threading changes RH9.

* Re: Redhat Linux 9.0 and Gnat
@ 2003-10-07  3:58 ` John B. Matthews
From: John B. Matthews @ 2003-10-07  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <5e3e03a7.0310061123.34c53510@posting.google.com>,
 mark_doherty@yahoo.co.uk (Mark Doherty) wrote:

> I am new to Linux and have installed a full installation of Linux from
> redhat (9). I then updated to the latest versions of most RPMs using
> redhat network. This has installed gcc 3.2. I have tried to install
> AWS and the compiler does not recognise pragma Unreferenced. I have
> got round it for the moment by removing the -gnatwe style switches.
> I don't understand why the pragma Unreferenced has been removed in a
> later version of GCC. It seems like a good pragma to me. Is there
> another pragma to use instead.

You could move forward to 3.3.1-6, from RedHat's beta packages

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/rawhide/i386/RedHat/RPMS/

You'll need (at least)

gcc-3.3.1-6
gcc-gnat-3.3.1-6
libgnat-3.3.1-6

> Am I wasting my time using gcc 3.2 until GNAT supports it. (I am not
> sure what version of gnat I am using because I don't know the Linux
> command that tells me). If so how do I go back to 2.8.1.

You can query your rpm database with a command like

rpm -qa | grep -i gcc

and get inofrmation about individual pacakages

rpm -qi gcc-gnat

> Do all the components compiled with gcc 3.2 need to be recompiled,
> how?
> Should I install Redhat 7.x instead?
>
> Having gone through the initial installation pain of Linux (UK BT
> broadband modem), I am not going back to Windows!
>
> Mark

John
----
jmatthews at wright dot edu
www dot wright dot edu/~john.matthews/

* Re: Redhat Linux 9.0 and Gnat
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-10-07  7:50 ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-10-07  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2003-10-06, Mark Doherty <mark_doherty@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Should I install Redhat 7.x instead?

No.

Many people have given you different suggestions. I would say that for
the time being you are best off with Gnat 3.15p (I use this myself) and
when Gnat 5 is available you can upgrade to this. The reason is that the
gcc 3.x is not stable yet, so things are missing and some bugs are yet
to be resolved. You can find RPMS here:

   http://www.alex.wubn.net/en/

It says RedHat 7.1 but I think it should work on RH 9 as well. If it
doesn't it should be much more easy to recompile a SRPM than to build
GNAT 5 from source.

Hope it helps.

Preben Randhol
--
This is Ada95 land. On quiet nights you can hear C programmers debug.

* Re: Redhat Linux 9.0 and Gnat
@ 2003-10-07 11:37   ` Jeff C,
From: Jeff C, @ 2003-10-07 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Preben Randhol" <randhol+valid_for_reply_from_news@pvv.org> wrote in
message
> On 2003-10-06, Mark Doherty <mark_doherty@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > Should I install Redhat 7.x instead?
>
> No.
>
> Many people have given you different suggestions. I would say that for
> the time being you are best off with Gnat 3.15p (I use this myself) and
> when Gnat 5 is available you can upgrade to this. The reason is that the
> gcc 3.x is not stable yet, so things are missing and some bugs are yet
> to be resolved. You can find RPMS here:
>
>    http://www.alex.wubn.net/en/
>
> It says RedHat 7.1 but I think it should work on RH 9 as well. If it
> doesn't it should be much more easy to recompile a SRPM than to build
> GNAT 5 from source.

It is just that it is not entirely clear that there will every be a stable
GNAT in the
GCC normal releases. Sure it works pretty good but the rate at which fixes
from
the GNAT cvs are getting folded into the GCC mainline is very slow. Add to
that
the fact that gcc changed the interface between the front-ends and back ends
a while ago (tree-ssa) and that there has been noise that at some point
front ends that have
not migrated will be removed.

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2003-09/msg01204.html

As for a public release of GNAT 5.0 series....It will be interesting to see.
3.15 has been out for quite
a while. Supported customers are already seen 3.16 and 5.01..Still no public
release.

I am not saying it will never happen but building a non-cross compiler from
the GNAT 5.0 sources is not really
all that hard.

@ 2003-10-07 13:33   ` Marc A. Criley
From: Marc A. Criley @ 2003-10-07 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jeff C," <nolongersafeto@userealemailsniff.com> wrote in message news:<c8ngb.53378$%h1.35609@sccrnsc02>...

> Note that whatever version you use I believe there are some tasking issues
> with Redhat 9 and GNAT due to the
> threading changes RH9.

Yes, at least for GNAT 3.15p.  I've not tried any of the GCC 3.x
versions of GNAT, so can't make any statements regarding that.  Here's
a link to the info you need for GNAT 3.15p and RH 9:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=254c16a.0307261224.347f4fe2%40posting.google.com&output=gplain

Marc A. Criley
mcNOSPAM@mckae.com (You know what to delete...)

www.mckae.com  "The Efficient Production of Reliable Software"

* Re: Redhat Linux 9.0 and Gnat- tasking bug
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-10-08  4:47 ` Mike and Lynn Card
From: Mike and Lynn Card @ 2003-10-08  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey Mark-

FWIW, I think you'll find that Ada tasking does not work with the GNAT
that comes installed by default in RH9. I used the GNAT that came with
RH8 and it workeed great, but the size of the data structure for tasks
changed in RH9 and so GNAT's task control blocks are the wrong size. So
if you have a program that uses tasking you will have problems.

We fixed this on our RH9 installation by downloading LOTS of RPMs for
gcc and installing them ourselves after finding a newsgroup posting when
doing a Google search for information about this problem. I say LOTS
because of dependencies we encountered that kept requiring more and more
RPMs. Anyway, to our amazement we did as the posting recommended and
voila our GNAT compiler is producing good code for programs with
tasking. Unfortunately I couldn't find the link just now, but here is
another thread that describes the problem:

http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/84/1996/1/50/273331/

- Mike