From: "Jeff C," <nolongersafeto@userealemailsniff.com>
Subject: Re: Redhat Linux 9.0 and Gnat
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 11:37:34 GMT
Date: 2003-10-07T11:37:34+00:00	[thread overview]

"Preben Randhol" <randhol+valid_for_reply_from_news@pvv.org> wrote in
message
news:slrnbo4s1t.jf.randhol+valid_for_reply_from_news@kiuk0152.chembio.ntnu.no...
> On 2003-10-06, Mark Doherty <mark_doherty@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > Should I install Redhat 7.x instead?
>
> No.
>
> Many people have given you different suggestions. I would say that for
> the time being you are best off with Gnat 3.15p (I use this myself) and
> when Gnat 5 is available you can upgrade to this. The reason is that the
> gcc 3.x is not stable yet, so things are missing and some bugs are yet
> to be resolved. You can find RPMS here:
>
>    http://www.alex.wubn.net/en/
>
> It says RedHat 7.1 but I think it should work on RH 9 as well. If it
> doesn't it should be much more easy to recompile a SRPM than to build
> GNAT 5 from source.

It is just that it is not entirely clear that there will every be a stable
GNAT in the
GCC normal releases. Sure it works pretty good but the rate at which fixes
from
the GNAT cvs are getting folded into the GCC mainline is very slow. Add to
that
the fact that gcc changed the interface between the front-ends and back ends
a while ago (tree-ssa) and that there has been noise that at some point
front ends that have
not migrated will be removed.

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2003-09/msg01204.html

As for a public release of GNAT 5.0 series....It will be interesting to see.
3.15 has been out for quite
a while. Supported customers are already seen 3.16 and 5.01..Still no public
release.

I am not saying it will never happen but building a non-cross compiler from
the GNAT 5.0 sources is not really
all that hard.