From: tking@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Tim King)
Subject: Re: Object-Oriented DBMSs and Ada Applications
Date: 25 Aug 89 19:03:38 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <560@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu> eberard@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu (Edward Berard)
writes:

> I would strongly suggest that members of the Ada community become
> involved with OODBMS vendors, research, and standardization efforts.

There is a (relatively) new standards group that interested parties should
consider.  I'm not sure of this group's *exact* lineage/title/affiliations,
but I believe it's something like: "The Object-Oriented Database Task Group
of the ASC X3/SPARC Database Systems Study Group".  The three stated
objectives of this group (taken from a draft Plan and Organization
document) are:

  1) To establish a working definition for the term "Object-Oriented
     Database".

  2) To establish the relationship between object-oriented database
     technology and object-oriented methods and technology from other
     fields, including programming languages, user interface methodologies,
     and information modeling methodologies.

  3) To establish a framework for future data management standards
     activities, both extensions to ongoing SQL and IRDS development, and
     related future standards.

If you're interested, contact:

Tim Andrews
Ontologic, Inc.
47 Manning Road
Billerica, MA 01821

or

Elizabeth Fong
NIST
Bldg. 225, Room A266
Gaithersburg, MD 20899

> If some of you are already involved, and it doesn't violate company
> policy, it might be very worthwhile to publicize your efforts. [Of
> course, I assume that the Software Engineering Institute is already
> doing something with OODBMSs.]

Over the past three years, we (at Honeywell SRC) have been developing a
system called "Gaia".  Gaia is an object-oriented framework for integrating
engineering tools and data into comprehensive development enviroments.  It
is implemented entirely in Ada.  One of Gaia's major components is an
object management system to which we provide an extensible, OO, Ada
interface.  If anyone is interested, I have some outdated papers we've
published.  I'd also be glad to give more current details via email.

Tim King                             |
Honeywell Systems & Research Center  |  Are we having fun yet?
Mpls, MN  55418                      |