* Pseudo code for Ada tasking
@ 2009-05-06  4:18 Adrian Hoe
From: Adrian Hoe @ 2009-05-06  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I am wondering, is there any reference or example about writing pseudo
code for Ada tasking?

Also, how can I model Ada tasking with a diagram?

Thanks.
--
Adrian Hoe

* Re: Pseudo code for Ada tasking
@ 2009-05-06 19:03 ` Nicholas Paul Collin Gloucester
From: Nicholas Paul Collin Gloucester @ 2009-05-06 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2009-05-06, Adrian Hoe <abyhoe@gmail.com> wrote:

|--------------------------------------------------|
|"[..]                                             |
|Also, how can I model Ada tasking with a diagram?"|
|--------------------------------------------------|

You could adapt statecharts if you really wanted to, but would
diagrams really help you?

* Re: Pseudo code for Ada tasking
@ 2009-05-06 20:00 ` Martin
From: Martin @ 2009-05-06 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On May 6, 4:18 am, Adrian Hoe <aby...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am wondering, is there any reference or example about writing pseudo
> code for Ada tasking?
>
> Also, how can I model Ada tasking with a diagram?
>
> Thanks.
> --
> Adrian Hoe

ASGs (Ada Structure Graphs) were the natural diagram for this but I
don't know of a tool that supports then apart from Teamwork which has
long gone.

In UML, a statechart comes close. There are professional tools that
can produce Ada code from this (for instance, Rhapsody in Ada (from
iLogix, then Telelogic, now IBM-Rational).

Cheers
-- Martin

* Re: Pseudo code for Ada tasking
@ 2009-05-06 20:32   ` sjw
From: sjw @ 2009-05-06 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On May 6, 9:00 pm, Martin <martin.do...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> On May 6, 4:18 am, Adrian Hoe <aby...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
>
> > I am wondering, is there any reference or example about writing pseudo
> > code for Ada tasking?
>
> > Also, how can I model Ada tasking with a diagram?
>
> > Thanks.
> > --
> > Adrian Hoe

Raymond Buhr wrote a (very expensive!) book 'System Design with
Ada' (Prentice Hall 1984) notable for a complete diagrammatic
representation of Ada (83, of course) tasking which to my mind was
more complicated than the Ada language.

> ASGs (Ada Structure Graphs) were the natural diagram for this but I
> don't know of a tool that supports then apart from Teamwork which has
> long gone.
>
> In UML, a statechart comes close. There are professional tools that
> can produce Ada code from this (for instance, Rhapsody in Ada (from
> iLogix, then Telelogic, now IBM-Rational).

'professional'?

There are commercial tools as above, and there are open-source tools
(not sure whether Umbrello can do this, but ColdFrame
http://coldframe.sourceforge.net/coldframe/ certainly can).

In any case, tasking and state machines don't necessarily go and-in-
hand.

--S

* Re: Pseudo code for Ada tasking
@ 2009-05-06 21:52     ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2009-05-06 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

sjw wrote:
> On May 6, 9:00 pm, Martin <martin.do...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
>> On May 6, 4:18 am, Adrian Hoe <aby...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I am wondering, is there any reference or example about writing pseudo
>>> code for Ada tasking?
>>> Also, how can I model Ada tasking with a diagram?
>>> Thanks.

> There are commercial tools as above, and there are open-source tools
> (not sure whether Umbrello can do this, but ColdFrame
> http://coldframe.sourceforge.net/coldframe/ certainly can).

E.g., http://www.openameos.org/

* Re: Pseudo code for Ada tasking
@ 2009-05-07 12:39     ` Martin
From: Martin @ 2009-05-07 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On May 6, 9:32 pm, sjw <simon.j.wri...@mac.com> wrote:
> On May 6, 9:00 pm, Martin <martin.do...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
>
> > On May 6, 4:18 am, Adrian Hoe <aby...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Hi,
>
> > > I am wondering, is there any reference or example about writing pseudo
> > > code for Ada tasking?
>
> > > Also, how can I model Ada tasking with a diagram?
>
> > > Thanks.
> > > --
> > > Adrian Hoe
>
> Raymond Buhr wrote a (very expensive!) book 'System Design with
> Ada' (Prentice Hall 1984) notable for a complete diagrammatic
> representation of Ada (83, of course) tasking which to my mind was
> more complicated than the Ada language.
>
> > ASGs (Ada Structure Graphs) were the natural diagram for this but I
> > don't know of a tool that supports then apart from Teamwork which has
> > long gone.
>
> > In UML, a statechart comes close. There are professional tools that
> > can produce Ada code from this (for instance, Rhapsody in Ada (from
> > iLogix, then Telelogic, now IBM-Rational).
>
> 'professional'?
>
> There are commercial tools as above, and there are open-source tools
> (not sure whether Umbrello can do this, but ColdFramehttp://coldframe.sourceforge.net/coldframe/certainly can).

I haven't used/tried either of these for ages, so apologies for
missing them out. Pragsoft's UMLStudio is another example with a UML-
>Ada95 generator in it. Doesn't seem to have been updated recently and
I'm not sure it can do a statechart->task implementation or not.

> In any case, tasking and state machines don't necessarily go and-in-
> hand.
>
> --S

Your right, you do have to stereotype the class containing the
statechart as either 'task' (active) or 'non-task' (passive) and you
have to have a uml->code engine that can understand this.

Cheers
-- Martin