* WANTED: lint for ada
@ 1993-01-29  1:06 Russ Hill
From: Russ Hill @ 1993-01-29  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

lint for ada.  Is there any such beast?
sorry for the stupid question.

please respond with email
thanks

--

Russ Hill
rhill@dale.ksc.nasa.gov
(407) 633-5744

* Re: WANTED: lint for ada
@ 1993-01-30  2:45 Richard Wallace
From: Richard Wallace @ 1993-01-30  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Russ Hill (rhill@dale.ksc.nasa.gov) wrote:
: lint for ada.  Is there any such beast?
: sorry for the stupid question.
:
: please respond with email
: thanks
:
: --
:
: Russ Hill
: rhill@dale.ksc.nasa.gov
: (407) 633-5744

There are some style checkers out there (I do not have
a current list, sorry).  There is, in my opinion, no
need for a "linter" for Ada due to the strong typing and
relative lack of strange compiler directives (again, just
my opinion).

You might look for the FAQ posting to this news group.  It
would probably give you an initial indication of what is
out there in terms of tools, etc. for Ada.

Aloha,
	Richard

Richard Wallace
Senior Software Engineer
Digital Equipment Corporation
301 Rockrimmon Blvd. South
CXO2-1/7A
Colorado Springs, CO 80919-2398
(719)548-2792
<wallace@cookie.enet.dec.com>

"The opinions expressed are my own, B.P. may not *quite* agree..."

* Re: WANTED: lint for ada
@ 1993-01-31 23:02 rharwood
From: rharwood @ 1993-01-31 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1993Jan29.010657.7304@dale.ksc.nasa.gov>,
rhill@dale.ksc.nasa.gov (Russ Hill) writes:

> lint for ada.  Is there any such beast?
> sorry for the stupid question.

Hmmm, I think it's called "an Ada compiler".

According to my copy of "The C Programmer's Handbook" (c) 1985 by Bell Labs,
"lint provides strong type checking and shows many possibly nonportable
constructions."  Also: "There is not run-time check on the number or types of
arguments passed to a function.  You can use [lint] to perform such checks
before the program is compiled."

The Ada compiler performs these functions as mandated by the LRM.

Sorry to answer by post instead of EMail, but I think this is a point often
missed by those just getting to know the language, and worthy of "general
view."
-----
Ray Harwood           |Data Basix           |Adjunct Faculty, East Campus,
Voice: (602)721-1988  |PO Box 18324         |   Pima Community College
FAX:   (602)721-7240  |Tucson, AZ 85731     |Instructor in Ada and Pascal
CompuServe: 76645,1370|AppleLink: DATA.BASIX|Internet: rharwood@east.pima.edu

* Re: WANTED: lint for ada
@ 1993-02-02 20:33 agate!usenet.ins.cwru.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.ed
From: agate!usenet.ins.cwru.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.ed @ 1993-02-02 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

>rhill@dale.ksc.nasa.gov (Russ Hill) writes:
>
>> lint for ada.  Is there any such beast?
>> sorry for the stupid question.
>
>Hmmm, I think it's called "an Ada compiler".

I often miss lint's capability to find unused variables/procedures in my Ada
sources.  I know that the compiler and code generator "optimize away" unused
variables, but it would be nice to be able to clean up my sources.  I use
Alsys and Sun Ada to produce my executables, but I use Meridian's cross
reference program to find unused variables.

Do the "Ada Style Checkers" identify unused variables and procedures?

Timothy J. Barton                         tim@trident.datasys.swri.edu
Senior Research Analyst                   (210) 522-3540
Southwest Research Institute (SwRI)       (210) 522-5499  (Fax)
San Antonio, Texas  78228-0510

* Re: WANTED: lint for ada
@ 1993-02-03 20:40 Bob Kitzberger
From: Bob Kitzberger @ 1993-02-03 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

tim@trident.datasys.swri.edu (Timothy J. Barton) writes:

>I often miss lint's capability to find unused variables/procedures in my Ada
>sources.  I know that the compiler and code generator "optimize away" unused
>variables, but it would be nice to be able to clean up my sources.  I use
>Alsys and Sun Ada to produce my executables, but I use Meridian's cross
>reference program to find unused variables.

You may be able to get your optimizer to warn you when it removes dead
code.  I know that TeleSoft's compilers will do this.  Not sure about
unused variables, though.

	.Bob.
Bob Kitzberger          VisiCom Laboratories, Inc.
rlk@visicom.com         10052 Mesa Ridge Court, San Diego CA 92121 USA
                        +1 619 457 2111    FAX +1 619 457 0888