From: Herndon Elliott <HElliott@LOSAT.REDSTONE.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Re: DoD brass ignores Ada promotional opportunity
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 1994 08:22:00 CST
Date: 1994-11-23T08:22:00-06:00	[thread overview]

In article 5ww@world.std.com, srctran@world.std.com (Gregory Aharonian)
writes:

>    Once again.  ADA IS EASY TO SPELL, EASY TO TYPE, EASY TO SAY, EASY TO
USE.
>Why is it then that DoD types find it soooo hard to use the word, except
when
>they are forced to at porkpoint?

You can read or ignore the original - I wont waste the electrons to repeat
it...

        Yeah, I know, everybody seems to like to blast Greg A. for these kinds
of posts, but I for one think he is right.  As a taxpayer, as well as one
that is involved in software development in the Government, I hate to see
what is happening in the Ada world.  I see the language slipping into
obscurity.  IBM has handed off their Ada "involvement" to another firm,
Tartan has announced its stepping into the world of C, Ada companies are
scrambling to stay afloat in a sea that seems to be drying up rapidly.  From
my point of view, there is an increasing probability that all the government
money that has been put into Ada stands a very significant chance of
becoming sunk costs that are written off as a loss.  From a taxpayers POV,
this sux.  From a government software weenie's POV, I feel the potential for
another failed government program looming on the horizon, and this one may
even cause me to appear as though I have blood on my hands, since I have
done my part to force compliance with the mandate in my little corner of the
world.

        Greg, as Buffalo Springfield said "For what it is worth", keep it up.
Fan the flames (or are they just coals?).  Besides, where else can I go to
read such wonderful metaphors as "forced at porkpoint"?

Thanks,
Doc Elliott KE4KUZ
LOSAT Computer Engineer
INTERNET:  helliott@losat.redstone.army.mil
205-842-8086
The opinions expressed herein are mine, and do not
constitute an official government position, unless
specifically stated as such.