From: Kenneth Wolcott <kennethwolcott@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: questions regarding Docker, Ada and Alire
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 17:02:55 -0700 (PDT)	[thread overview]

On Tuesday, October 3, 2023 at 2:44:56 PM UTC-7, Kenneth Wolcott wrote:
> Hi;
>
> Has anybody used a Docker container with Ada and Alire (obviously Linux)?
>
> If so,
>
> 1. did you create a Docker image using a Dockerfile?
>
> or
>
> 2. did you find a Docker base (eg: official Docker Ubuntu) image and modify it by downloading gnat source, compiling and installing it and then downloading Alire, compiling and installing it?
>
> or
>
> 3. Found an exiting Docker Linux image with all of the above all nicely preconfigured?
>
> If you used a Dockerfile, would you mind sharing it?
>
> I'm on a Mac with M1 chip and would like to consider getting Ada and Alire working in this manner as an alternative that *might* work more effectively than what I'm trying now.
>
> Thanks,
> Ken Wolcott

Update:

  I chose the gcc linux/amd64 Docker Official Image (could have chosen Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, Rocky, etc).

  I downloaded the Linux Alire package and copied it over to the Docker container interactively running bash using the aforementioned Docker image.

  I was able to get Alire to install the gnat native compiler for gcc13.

  Now what remains is for me to re-learn how to use Docker and how to use Alire...like getting the Alire Docker container environment to be persistent...

  Perhaps I will try a different official Docker image as a base to start with as I really don't need anything gcc related that Alire doesn't provide...

  Perhaps I will try to create my own Dockerfile to create my own Docker image in which to run containers from.

  I was hoping (still hoping) to get some sage advice from those here on any gotchas or suggestions to enhance the experience...

Thanks,
Ken