From: lab.ultra.nyu.edu!kenner@nyu.edu  (Richard Kenner)
Subject: Re: problem compiling gnat on sun
Date: 23 Sep 93 11:44:38 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <27qfj7$qd2@alva.ge.com> dennison@romulus31.DAB.GE.COM (Ted Dennison
) writes:
>I am trying to install gnat on our suns running SunOS 4.1.1,
>and am getting the exact same problem. I also just got  my distribution
>from cs.nyu.edu (on Sep 21).  Prior to the errors you mention, I get a lot of
>compilation error messages. Example:
>
>$gcc -c -g -gnat83 -gnatg -gnatk8 ali.adb
>gcc: ali.adb: linker input file unused since linking not done

By "Suns" do you mean Sparc or 68k?  You need to build a cross-compiler
for anything other than a PC running OS/2 or a Sparc running SunOS.

Also, you need to install the GCC you build, specifically the
driver program.

>I was also getting another error because of a bug in the Makefile. It was
>generating  "-k8" for the above line instead of "-gnatk8".

That's correct once you install the driver program (gcc).

>p.s.   -gnatk8 restricts file names to 8 characters. Why does the Sun
>         implimentation need to do that?

The file name are set up to work on PC's as well.  Therefore, GNAT must
be told to use the shortened file name, hence -k8.  This affects the
current compilation, not what the compiler being built supports.