* problem compiling gnat on sun
@ 1993-09-22  8:54 cis.ohio-state.edu!magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu!usenet.ins.cwru.edu!howland.
From: cis.ohio-state.edu!magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu!usenet.ins.cwru.edu!howland. @ 1993-09-22  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

hello,

I have run into some problem compiling gnat for a SS10 running sunos 4.1.3,
the compiled xgcc is very small ( about 70k ), also
when I do a "make CC=gcc gnat1", the make fails, it complains about
not finding a bunch of *.o file ( like gnat.o ).

have anyone seen this problem before?

my gnat distribution is new, I just got it from cs.nyu.edu.

many thanks.

-wai

* Re: problem compiling gnat on sun
@ 1993-09-22 21:20 agate!howland.reston.ans.net!vixen.cso.uiuc.edu!sdd.hp.com!saimiri.primat
From: agate!howland.reston.ans.net!vixen.cso.uiuc.edu!sdd.hp.com!saimiri.primat @ 1993-09-22 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <27p3t1$2tv@nuscc.nus.sg>, elekokws@prang.ee.nus.sg (Wai the Elf) wr
ites:
|> hello,
|>
|> I have run into some problem compiling gnat for a SS10 running sunos 4.1.3,
|> the compiled xgcc is very small ( about 70k ), also
|> when I do a "make CC=gcc gnat1", the make fails, it complains about
|> not finding a bunch of *.o file ( like gnat.o ).
|>
|> have anyone seen this problem before?
|>
|> my gnat distribution is new, I just got it from cs.nyu.edu.
|>
|> many thanks.
|>
|> -wai
I am trying to install gnat on our suns running SunOS 4.1.1,
and am getting the exact same problem. I also just got  my distribution
from cs.nyu.edu (on Sep 21).  Prior to the errors you mention, I get a lot of
compilation error messages. Example:

$gcc -c -g -gnat83 -gnatg -gnatk8 ali.adb
gcc: ali.adb: linker input file unused since linking not done

I was also getting another error because of a bug in the Makefile. It was
generating  "-k8" for the above line instead of "-gnatk8".  That one was
easy enough to fix. Since one of the options on this line was screwed up,
odds are pretty good the error was caused by another such "oversight".

If anyone knows what the solution here is, help would be appreciated.

p.s.   -gnatk8 restricts file names to 8 characters. Why does the Sun
         implimentation need to do that?

T.E.D.

...furthermore, it is my opinion that Barney must be destroyed.

* Re: problem compiling gnat on sun
@ 1993-09-23 11:21 Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 1993-09-23 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <27qfj7$qd2@alva.ge.com> dennison@romulus31.DAB.GE.COM (Ted Dennison
) writes:
>I am trying to install gnat on our suns running SunOS 4.1.1,
>and am getting the exact same problem. I also just got  my distribution
>from cs.nyu.edu (on Sep 21).  Prior to the errors you mention, I get a lot of
>compilation error messages. Example:
>
>$gcc -c -g -gnat83 -gnatg -gnatk8 ali.adb
>gcc: ali.adb: linker input file unused since linking not done

By "Suns" do you mean Sparc or 68k?  You need to build a cross-compiler
for anything other than a PC running OS/2 or a Sparc running SunOS.

Also, you need to install the GCC you build, specifically the
driver program.

>I was also getting another error because of a bug in the Makefile. It was
>generating  "-k8" for the above line instead of "-gnatk8".

That's correct once you install the driver program (gcc).

>p.s.   -gnatk8 restricts file names to 8 characters. Why does the Sun
>         implimentation need to do that?

The file name are set up to work on PC's as well.  Therefore, GNAT must
be told to use the shortened file name, hence -k8.  This affects the
current compilation, not what the compiler being built supports.

* Re: problem compiling gnat on sun
@ 1993-09-23 11:44 Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 1993-09-23 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)