From: rochester!news.crd.ge.com!sunblossom!knight.vf.ge.com!news.ge.com!romulus 31!dennison@rutgers.edu  (Ted Dennison)
Subject: Re: Ada books
Date: 21 Sep 93 13:51:19 GMT	[thread overview]

When G.E. was training its software people for STGT (roughly
50-100 developers), they gave us all 2 books; Software
Engineering with Ada, by Grady Booch, and An Introduction to
Ada, by S.J. Young.  The general consensus (which I
completely agree with) ended up being that the Young book is
quite good, while the Booch book is suitable for wrapping
fish and lining bird cages. (Please don't flame me; this is
a quote.) People I have met from other projects who had
contact with the Booch book had pretty much the same
opinion.

However, as far as tasks and generics go, there really is
no substitue for experience. Get out a decent reference,
sit down with your compiler, and start playing...

T.E.D.

...furthermore, it is my opinion that Barney must be destroyed.