* More operating systems with GNU GPS
@ 2016-02-08  9:10 ldries46
From: ldries46 @ 2016-02-08  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a running GPS system om my windows 10 system and several programs
running there. Now I want these programs running on a Linux system. As Ada
was designed as an operating system independent language The compiler should
compile my sources also on Linux but I realize that the .gpr file cannot be
used directly. My question is is there a simple way of converting a .gpr
file from the one operating system to the other? I would prefere someprogram
which would ask questions.

L. Dries

* Re: More operating systems with GNU GPS
@ 2016-02-08  9:18 ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2016-02-08  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 08/02/2016 10:10, ldries46 wrote:
> I have a running GPS system om my windows 10 system and several programs
> running there. Now I want these programs running on a Linux system. As
> Ada was designed as an operating system independent language The
> compiler should compile my sources also on Linux but I realize that the
> .gpr file cannot be used directly.

If properly written it can.

> My question is is there a simple way
> of converting a .gpr file from the one operating system to the other? I
> would prefere someprogram which would ask questions.

That depends on the kind of differences. Some differences can be
factored out as values of project scenario variables. Others (external
libraries) can be factored out as target system dependent projects you
refer from the main project.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: More operating systems with GNU GPS
@ 2016-02-08  9:23 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2016-02-08  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

"ldries46" <bertus.dries@planet.nl> writes:

> I have a running GPS system om my windows 10 system and several
> programs running there. Now I want these programs running on a Linux
> system. As Ada was designed as an operating system independent
> language The compiler should compile my sources also on Linux but I
> realize that the .gpr file cannot be used directly. My question is is
> there a simple way of converting a .gpr file from the one operating
> system to the other? I would prefere someprogram which would ask
> questions.

When you say 'GPS system' do you mean GNAT GPS or the Global Positioning
System?

I've never gone from developing a Windows GPR and moving it to Unix, but
the reverse has never caused me problems.

I _think_ that so long as you always use '/' as your directory
separator, _even on Windows_, you'll be OK.

* Re: More operating systems with GNU GPS
@ 2016-02-08 10:02   ` ldries46
From: ldries46 @ 2016-02-08 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes, as referenced in the title I meant GNAT GPS.
As I have my Windows system divided in several partitions to run a neat
system and keeping it neat.
The GPS software and fi instance GtkAda are positioned in another partition
as the ada source and build files.
This means that I do get references to several partitions and directories in
my system. of course I can edit them all manually, but If it can be done
with some program It would be less easy to make mistakes.

L. Dries

"Simon Wright"  schreef in bericht news:lywpqf5zej.fsf@pushface.org...

@ 2016-02-08 13:10     ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2016-02-08 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

"ldries46" <bertus.dries@planet.nl> writes:

> As I have my Windows system divided in several partitions to run a
> neat system and keeping it neat.
> The GPS software and fi instance GtkAda are positioned in another
> partition as the ada source and build files.
> This means that I do get references to several partitions and
> directories in my system. of course I can edit them all manually, but
> If it can be done with some program It would be less easy to make
> mistakes.

I see the problem.

Would aggregate projects[1] help?

[1] http://docs.adacore.com/gprbuild-docs/html/share/gnat_project_manager.html#building-all-main-programs-from-a-single-project-tree

* Re: More operating systems with GNU GPS
@ 2016-02-08 13:37     ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2016-02-08 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 08/02/2016 11:02, ldries46 wrote:
> Yes, as referenced in the title I meant GNAT GPS.
> As I have my Windows system divided in several partitions to run a neat
> system and keeping it neat.
> The GPS software and fi instance GtkAda are positioned in another
> partition as the ada source and build files.
> This means that I do get references to several partitions and
> directories in my system. of course I can edit them all manually, but If
> it can be done with some program It would be less easy to make mistakes.

No, it does not mean this. GtkAda comes with gtkada.gpr file which is
system dependent. You "with" gtkada.gpr in you project and this is all
you have to do. Your project remains independent on the target system.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: More operating systems with GNU GPS
@ 2016-02-08 15:31 ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2016-02-08 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

> My question is is there a simple way of converting a .gpr
> file from the one operating system to the other?

I've never seen any major issues, but you can look through the Makefile, settings.gpr and the src/gnoga.gpr files in Gnoga to see examples of how to handle various builds across platforms and handle their differences.

David Botton

* Re: More operating systems with GNU GPS
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-02-09 19:49 ` brbarkstrom
From: brbarkstrom @ 2016-02-09 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, February 8, 2016 at 4:10:42 AM UTC-5, ldries46 wrote:
> I have a running GPS system om my windows 10 system and several programs
> running there. Now I want these programs running on a Linux system. As Ada
> was designed as an operating system independent language The compiler should
> compile my sources also on Linux but I realize that the .gpr file cannot be
> used directly. My question is is there a simple way of converting a .gpr
> file from the one operating system to the other? I would prefere someprogram
> which would ask questions.
>
> L. Dries

I've had GPS running on an Ubuntu Linux box with the 2014 Linux package.
When I tried to install the system on the same box with the 2015 GPS
package, it looks like the Ubuntu update process was missing some libraries.
I've been too loaded with other work to track down the problem.  However,
I expect that with some care you should be able to install on a Linux
system and not notice many differences.  The usual care that goes with
that is of course to be expected.

I can't say anything about the gtk libraries.  Most of my work has been
dealing with either fairly straightforward numerical computations or
html (Web) stuff.  I haven't had time to resolve what I need to do to
deal with AWS or PolyORB.

Bruce b.