* starting gnat...
@ 2006-10-03 18:52 R.Freitag
From: R.Freitag @ 2006-10-03 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hallo,

i have gnat installed, typing gnat results in
-------------------------
GNAT 4.1.0 (SUSE Linux)
Copyright 1996-2005, Free Software Foundation, Inc.

List of available commands

gnat bind               gnatbind
gnat chop               gnatchop
gnat clean              gnatclean
gnat compile            gnatmake -f -u -c
gnat elim               gnatelim
gnat find               gnatfind
gnat krunch             gnatkr
gnat link               gnatlink
gnat list               gnatls
gnat make               gnatmake
gnat metric             gnatmetric
gnat name               gnatname
gnat preprocess         gnatprep
gnat pretty             gnatpp
gnat setup
gnat stub               gnatstub
gnat xref               gnatxref

Commands find, list, metric, pretty, stub and xref accept project file
switches -vPx, -Pprj and -Xnam=val
----------------------------------

i also have ada mode for emacs and emacs.

How can i compile ada-sources?

Is there a test suite in ada to test the installation of the compiler?

Thanks

Robert

* Re: starting gnat...
@ 2006-10-03 19:25 ` Jeffrey R. Carter
From: Jeffrey R. Carter @ 2006-10-03 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

R.Freitag wrote:

> How can i compile ada-sources?

Typically, you use gnatmake. For instance, if you've created a main
procedure named Hello, in hello.adb, you'd do

gnatmake -gnato -fstack-check hello

This compiles hello.adb and any units it depends on that need compiling,
then binds and links the executable.

--
Jeff Carter
"You empty-headed animal-food-trough wiper."

* Re: starting gnat...
@ 2006-10-04  6:29 ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2006-10-04  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

R.Freitag schrieb:

> i also have ada mode for emacs and emacs.

Last I checked the emacs mode for Ada uses an obsolete form of project
files. There are attempts to remedy this but I have not yet seen the
results.

As beginner I suggest you try GPS instead (you can still use Emacs for
editing). For 32 bit Linux you get GPS 3.1.3 from Libre [1] for 64bit
SuSE Linux there is also GPS 4.0.0 version from the GNU Ada Project [2]
available.

> How can i compile ada-sources?

Best you use "gnat make" (as one word or two words - both works almost
the same). Jeffrey posted some details. You might also want to read [3].

As it is a make (and not just "gnat compile") it will to all the work
needed. Later, when you got used to the system you can start using
project files to fine tune you compilation needs.

> Is there a test suite in ada to test the installation of the compiler?

Yes, it is called the ACATS test - The test should be included in one of
the source rpm of the gcc tool chain. The GNU Ada project publishes the
result for the GCC releases [3].

Martin

[1] https://libre2.adacore.com/gps
[2] http://gnuada.sourceforge.net/pmwiki.php/Install/SuSE
[3] http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ada_Programming/Building#GNAT
[4] http://gnuada.sourceforge.net/pmwiki.php/Packages/GNATGCC

* Re: starting gnat...
@ 2006-10-04 12:25 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2006-10-04 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

"R.Freitag" <rfr-mailbox@gmx.de> writes:

> i also have ada mode for emacs and emacs.
>
> How can i compile ada-sources?

The latest version of ada-mode for Emacs is at

http://stephe-leake.org/emacs/ada-mode/emacs-ada-mode.html

The manual has been updated, and includes a tutorial of how to compile
simple Ada projects.

Please join the mailing list there as well.

--
-- Stephe, Emacs Ada-mode maintainer

* Re: starting gnat...
@ 2006-10-04 12:34   ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2006-10-04 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Krischik <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> writes:

> Last I checked the emacs mode for Ada uses an obsolete form of project
> files.

They were never "obsolete"; just "different" :).

> There are attempts to remedy this but I have not yet seen the
> results.

Please check

http://stephe-leake.org/emacs/ada-mode/emacs-ada-mode.html

> As beginner I suggest you try GPS instead (you can still use Emacs for
> editing). For 32 bit Linux you get GPS 3.1.3 from Libre [1] for 64bit
> SuSE Linux there is also GPS 4.0.0 version from the GNU Ada Project
> [2] available.

_If_ you like a mouse/menu intensive GUI IDE, then GPS is a reasonable
choice. Eclipse is another reasonable choice. Emacs can do mouse/menu
stuff, but it's not as good at it as GPS, especially on Windows (it is
getting better).

If you prefer a keyboard/command-line oriented IDE, that does LaTeX
and VHDL as well as Ada, then Emacs is an excellent choice.

The latest Emacs ada-mode is intended to be very easy to use for
beginners; I welcome feedback on that issue.

The manual includes a tutorial showing how to compile and run a simple
hello-world program, and demonstrates the handling of compiler error
messages.

>> How can i compile ada-sources?
>
> Best you use "gnat make" (as one word or two words - both works almost
> the same). Jeffrey posted some details. You might also want to read
> [3].

Hmm. If you are recommending an IDE, you should say how that IDE
invokes gnatmake.

I don't remember how GPS does it; there is either a button to click or
a menu entry to select.

In Emacs, the keystroke is C-c C-c, corresponding to the Ada menu
entry "Build".

--
-- Stephe

* Re: starting gnat...
@ 2006-10-04 20:01     ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2006-10-04 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org> writes:

> Hmm. If you are recommending an IDE, you should say how that IDE
> invokes gnatmake.
>
> I don't remember how GPS does it; there is either a button to click or
> a menu entry to select.

Build > Compile or Build > Make ... and there may well be buttons too.

S-F4 to compile current file
F4 to build target(s) of current project

* Re: starting gnat...
@ 2006-10-05 18:38     ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2006-10-05 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake wrote:

> If you like a mouse/menu intensive GUI IDE, then GPS is a reasonable
> choice. Eclipse is another reasonable choice. Emacs can do mouse/menu
> stuff, but it's not as good at it as GPS, especially on Windows (it is
> getting better).

I thought that it is well known that I use Vim and Vim support for Ada is
getting better as well. However, I would not suggest Vim to a complete
beginner as GPS works out of the box without trouble and can generate
project files.

Martin
--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net