From: usenet.ufl.edu!travis.csd.harris.com!ada1.ssd.csd.harris.com!danr@gatech. edu  (Dan Rittersdorf)
Subject: Re: Please Help: Sun Ada Bug
Date: 15 Sep 93 21:34:01 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <37106@hacgate.SCG.HAC.COM> bdarr@atr-16 (Byron Darrah) writes:

>     I am getting an internal error from a Sun Ada 1.0
>compiler that reads:
>
>     internal: assertion error at file lreg.c line xxx
>cg_ret: 1
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Byron Darrah

   Any time you see "internal: assertion error ..." or
   "internal: case error ..." in a Verdix based compiler, you've detected
   a compiler error.  Actually, the compiler has detected an error
   within itself.  In this case, lreg.c is in the code generator (cg_ret=1).

   Report it to the vendor, giving more detail, such as the actual line
   number (it's significant, so they can locate *which* assertion
   in lreg.c has gone bonkers.  They may be able to give you a hint about
   what your program did special to cause the compiler to assert.
   for example, if you had a LOT of initializations, and used up all
   the logical registers they had allowed for or something.

   There are a lot of assertions in the compiler, and each has a different
   possible cause.  Only the vendor (or Verdix) who has the source can tell
   you which assertion, what it was asserting, and what you could do to work
   around it till you get a fix.

   It isn't much, but be thankful that the compiler is self checking -- the
   alternative could well have been:

      bus error: core dumped

   if the assertion hadn't been written.

--