From: mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael Feldman)
Subject: Re: ADA Compiling Query
Date: 21 Feb 91 20:40:01 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <20600085@inmet#  stt@inmet.inmet.com writes:
#
# Here are some important reasons for allowing by-copy parameter passing:
#
# 1) It supports parameter passing between parts of a distributed
# program which don't share memory.
#
# 2) It allows a slice of a packed array to be copied into an aligned
# temporary, rather than forcing every subprogram to handle a descriptor
# for an unaligned parameter.
#
# 3) It allows very short arrays/records to be passed in registers
# (e.g. a packed array of 16 booleans).
#
# 4) It is necessary when the actual parameter is in the form of a type
# conversion, and the target and source type don't have the same
# representation (e.g. one is packed and the other isn't).
#
# S. Tucker Taft
# Intermetrics, Inc.
# Cambridge, MA  02138

I think we've come to the end of this thread. I think I started this one,
and I've read a lot of interesting network traffic on it, including some
nice private notes. I think Tucker has encapsulated the issues very well,
and I just want to thank him publicly for another enlightening summary
of an interesting language issue. Thanks!