From: sommar@enea.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Subject: Re: VAX Ada and CDD
Date: 6 Mar 91 22:57:32 GMT	[thread overview]

Recently I asked for CDD support with VAX Ada. Yes, it is there.
There is a facility shipped with VAX Ada with which you can
generate packages, or just code fragments to paste in, from
CDD definitions.

It was pointed out to me by someone who was kind to send me
excerpts from the help text for Ada 2.0. At the site I am,
we have 2.1 and apparently the section on CDD_interface has
fallen away from the help text. (And the manuals, as I told,
are dislocated.)

Whether this feature is useful or not remains to see. All I
can say this far is that DEC's SQL preprocessor makes severe
hindrances to use use Ada for modular programming with a strong
type concept.

If SQL gave a damn in doing type conversions (e.g. date => string)
it wouldn't have understand the host declarations, lifting the
requirment that all types referred to in SQL statements must be
declared in the same source file. I realize that this is probably
ANSI, but by giving the qualifier /STUPID one could take away this
feature which is questionable in the first case in an Ada-style of
programming where implicit conversions are a no-no.

Thanks to you who replied to my question.
--
Erland Sommarskog - ENEA Data, Stockholm - sommar@enea.se