* Ada Standards
@ 1998-01-23  0:00 Markus Kuhn
From: Markus Kuhn @ 1998-01-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry if this is a FAQ:

Where can I order the Ada95 reference manual as a printed book?

Does some book publisher print the Ada95 RM, preferably together
with other relevant Ada standards such as the POSIX binding? ISBN?

What other reference material does a starting Ada developer want
to have on his bookshelf?

Markus

--
Markus G. Kuhn, Security Group, Computer Lab, Cambridge University, UK
email: mkuhn at acm.org,  home page: <http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/>

* Re: Ada Standards
@ 1998-01-24  0:00 ` Tucker Taft
       [not found] ` <EnAr9s.9zz@world.std.com>
From: Tucker Taft @ 1998-01-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Markus Kuhn (Markus.Kuhn@cl.cam.ac.uk) wrote:

: Sorry if this is a FAQ:

: Where can I order the Ada95 reference manual as a printed book?

From NTIS, IITRI, and Springer-Verlag:

IITRI:
    Both manuals are available as a set for $40 from IITRI.  They are
    professionally printed and bound with a sturdy, soft cover.  To order,
    send a note indicating the number of sets ordered and a check or money
    order for the total amount due, payable to IIT Research Institute, to
	    IIT Research Institute
	    Attn.:  Judy Hively
	    4409 Forbes Blvd.
	    Lanham, MD  20706-4211

NTIS:
    You must specify the accession number when ordering from either DTIC or
    NTIS:  Language Reference Manual -- AD A293760 [NTIS prices this document
    at $61];  Rationale -- AD A293708 [NTIS prices this document at $52].
	    Defense Technical Information Center (DTIC)
	    8725 John J. Kingman Road, Suite 0944
	    Fort Belvoir, VA  22060-6218
	    Tel.:  703/767-8274;  DSN 427-8274

	    National Technical Information Service (NTIS)
	    5285 Port Royal Road
	    Springfield, VA  22161
	    Tel.:  703/487-4650

Springer Verlag:
    ADA 95 LRM & RATIONALE NOW AVAILABLE WORLDWIDE
    Topic:  Ada 95

    New editions of the Ada 95 Language Reference Manual (LRM) and Rationale
    have been published to accommodate worldwide distribution.

    Ordering information on these new versions may be obtained on the Web
    at:  <http://www.springer.de/catalog/html-files/deutsch/series/558.html>.

    Ordering information on the LRM & Rationale may also be obtained at:
    <http://sw-eng.falls-church.va.us/AdaIC/docs/flyers/lrm.htm>.

    J. Barnes, Caversham, Reading, UK (Ed.) Ada 95 Rationale
    The Language - The Standard Libraries
    1997 . XVI, 458 pp., Softcover ISBN 3-540-63143-7
    DM 68,-;  29,50; FF 257,-; Lit. 75.090; S 496,40; sFr 60,-; US $ 49,95

    T. Taft,Burlington, MA, USA; R.A. Duff , Melrose, MA, USA (Eds.)
    Ada 95 Reference Manual
    International Standard ISO/IEC 8652:1995 (E)
    1997 . XXII, 526 pp., Softcover ISBN 3-540-63144-5
    Price: $54.95

    Ada 95, Quality and Style
    Guidelines for Professional Programmers
    Edited by C. Ausnit-Hood, K.A. Johnson, R.G. Pettit IV, S.B. Opdahl

    http://www.springer.de/catalog/html-files/deutsch/comp/3540638237.html

    1997. 	SV, 292 pp. (Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol 1344)
    Softcover DM 58,- ISBN 3-540-63823-7
    This guide will help you produce better Ada programs by identifying a
    set of stylistic guidelines that will directly impact the quality of
    your Ada 95 programs.

    Contents:
    The style guide is divided into chapters that reflect the major points
    that a programmer addresses when creating high-quality, reliable,
    reusable and portable Ada software. Individual chapters are devoted to
    source code presentation, readability, program structure, programming
    practice, concurrency, portability, reusability, performance, and the
    new object-oriented features.

    You can order directly from the publisher at:
    e-mail: orders@springer.de
    FAX: +49 30 82787-301

-Tucker Taft  stt@inmet.com
Intermetrics, Inc.

* Re: Ada Standards
@ 1998-01-24  0:00 ` Nick Roberts
       [not found] ` <EnAr9s.9zz@world.std.com>
From: Nick Roberts @ 1998-01-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

The UK place to go for the Springer-Verlag publications is

   Juliette@svl.co.uk

Say I sent you!

--

Nick Roberts
Croydon, UK

Proprietor, ThoughtWing Software; Independent Software Development
Consultant
* Nick.Roberts@dial.pipex.com * Voicemail & Fax +44 181-405 1124 *
*** Always game for a verbal joust (usually as the turkey) ***

Markus Kuhn <Markus.Kuhn@cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote in article
<34C8D047.746FBF11@cl.cam.ac.uk>...

@ 1998-01-26  0:00   ` Markus Kuhn
From: Markus Kuhn @ 1998-01-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert A Duff wrote:
> >Does some book publisher print the Ada95 RM, preferably together
> >with other relevant Ada standards such as the POSIX binding? ISBN?
>
> Springer-Verlag prints the RM.  ISBN-3-540-63144-5.
>
> Don't know about POSIX binding.

Ada/POSIX binding standard:

  IEEE Std 1003.5b-1996 Standard for Information Technology--POSIX
  Ada Language Interfaces--Part 1: Binding for System Applications
  Program Interface (API), 550 pages, ISBN 1-55937-758-5,
  US$ 112 (for IEEE members), order code SH94432-NYF.

The POSIX standard itself:

  ISO/IEC 9945-1:1996, Information Technology--Portable Operating
  System Interface (POSIX)--Part 1: System Application: Program
  Interface (API) [C Language], 784 pages, ISBN 1-55937-573-6,
  US$ 84 (for IEEE members), order code SH94352-NYF.

I guess, both of these are essential for anyone developing Ada
software for Unix.

The standards can be ordered from

  IEEE Publications
  Tel: +1-732-981-1393 (1-800-678-IEEE)
  Fax: +1-732-981-9667

or

  IEEE Computer Society Publications
  10662 Los Vaqueros Circle
  PO Box 3014
  Los Alamitos, CA 90720-1264
  USA
  Tel: +1-714-821-8380
  Fax: +1-714-821-4010

Markus

--

@ 2011-11-25  3:32 Rego, P.
From: Rego, P. @ 2011-11-25  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

How are published the new Ada Standards? I mean, when looking for some questions here in forum I read some posts where some people talk (at least looked to me) very fluently about new features for Ada 2012 and even for Ada 2020, as if they were defined from long ago. I guess WG9 don't have so many people or I have missed something.

Ok, Adacore has just released a GNATPRO previous version which includes some features of Ada 2012, and reading the release notes made me learn a little about these new features. AUJ and Ada Europe Conf always get some news too and I also read the John Barnes introduction for the Ada 2012 rationale. But sometimes I cannot distinguish if people talk about suggested/desired features (as if they were to be implemented) or if they talk about decided/published features by WG9/ISO.

Maybe is there a draft of ARM2012 available?

* Re: Ada Standards
@ 2011-11-25  6:53 ` Jeffrey Carter
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2011-11-25  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/24/2011 08:32 PM, Rego, P. wrote:
> How are published the new Ada Standards? I mean, when looking for some
> questions here in forum I read some posts where some people talk (at least
> looked to me) very fluently about new features for Ada 2012 and even for Ada
> 2020, as if they were defined from long ago. I guess WG9 don't have so many
> people or I have missed something.

Past, current, and proposed versions of the ARM are available at

http://www.adaic.org/ada-resources/standards/

though they don't have the ARM for Ada 80 (US DoD MIL-STD-1815).

--
Jeff Carter
"Hold your temper. Count ten.... Now let 'er go.

* Re: Ada Standards
@ 2011-11-25  6:56 ` J-P. Rosen
From: J-P. Rosen @ 2011-11-25  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 25/11/2011 04:32, Rego, P. a �crit :
> Maybe is there a draft of ARM2012 available?
http://www.ada-auth.org/standards/ada12.html

This is the latest version, currently circulated to national bodies for
comments.

Note also that if you want to follow the evolution of the language in
real time, you can check the AI database at
http://www.ada-auth.org/ais.html
(all changes to the language start with an AI)
           J-P. Rosen (rosen@adalog.fr)
Adalog a d�m�nag� / Adalog has moved:
Tel: +33 1 45 29 21 52, Fax: +33 1 45 29 25 00

* Re: Ada Standards
@ 2011-11-25  6:57 ` anon
From: anon @ 2011-11-25  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <5994234.589.1322191928216.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@yqli7>, "Rego, P." <pvrego@gmail.com> writes:
>How are published the new Ada Standards? I mean, when looking for some ques=
>tions here in forum I read some posts where some people talk (at least look=
>ed to me) very fluently about new features for Ada 2012 and even for Ada 20=
>20, as if they were defined from long ago. I guess WG9 don't have so many p=
>eople or I have missed something.
>
>Ok, Adacore has just released a GNATPRO previous version which includes som=
>e features of Ada 2012, and reading the release notes made me learn a littl=
>e about these new features. AUJ and Ada Europe Conf always get some news to=
>o and I also read the John Barnes introduction for the Ada 2012 rationale. =
>But sometimes I cannot distinguish if people talk about suggested/desired f=
>eatures (as if they were to be implemented) or if they talk about decided/p=
>ublished features by WG9/ISO.
>
>Maybe is there a draft of ARM2012 available?

For Ada programmer we just donwload the copy from

http://www.ada-auth.org/standards/ada12.html

either in PDF/ HTML ( zipped ) / TEXT files ( zipped ). There is the
Ada 2012 Language Reference Manual (Ada LRM aka RM) or the Annotated
Ada 2012 Language Reference Manual (AALRM). For quick reference most
will use the RM. For writting compilers most will use the AALRM.

* Re: Ada Standards
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-11-25  6:58 ` Niklas Holsti
From: Niklas Holsti @ 2011-11-25  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11-11-25 04:32 , Rego, P. wrote:
> How are published the new Ada Standards? I mean, when looking for some questions here in forum I read some posts where some people talk (at least looked to me) very fluently about new features for Ada 2012 and even for Ada 2020, as if they were defined from long ago. I guess WG9 don't have so many people or I have missed something.
>
> Ok, Adacore has just released a GNATPRO previous version which includes some features of Ada 2012, and reading the release notes made me learn a little about these new features. AUJ and Ada Europe Conf always get some news too and I also read the John Barnes introduction for the Ada 2012 rationale. But sometimes I cannot distinguish if people talk about suggested/desired features (as if they were to be implemented) or if they talk about decided/published features by WG9/ISO.
>
> Maybe is there a draft of ARM2012 available?

http://www.ada-auth.org/standards/ada12.html

--
Niklas Holsti
Tidorum Ltd
niklas holsti tidorum fi
       .      @       .

* Re: Ada Standards
@ 2011-11-25  9:30   ` Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)
From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) @ 2011-11-25  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le Fri, 25 Nov 2011 07:56:07 +0100, J-P. Rosen <rosen@adalog.fr> a écrit:

> Le 25/11/2011 04:32, Rego, P. a écrit :
>> Maybe is there a draft of ARM2012 available?
> http://www.ada-auth.org/standards/ada12.html
>
> This is the latest version, currently circulated to national bodies for
> comments.
Yes, for comments, but this is rather stable, isn't it ?

[1]: [Epigrams on Programming — Alan J. — P. Yale University]

* Re: Ada Standards
@ 2011-11-25  9:31   ` Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)
From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) @ 2011-11-25  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le Fri, 25 Nov 2011 07:57:21 +0100, <anon@att.net> a écrit:
> For writting compilers most will use the AALRM.
For more comments as well. The annotated reference is useful to everyone.

@ 2011-11-27  4:51   ` Rego, P.
From: Rego, P. @ 2011-11-27  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ok. Thank you all. I will read the links.

* Re: Ada Standards
@ 2011-11-29  1:54   ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2011-11-29  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Nov 25, 12:53 am, Jeffrey Carter
<spam.jrcarter....@spam.not.acm.org> wrote:
> On 11/24/2011 08:32 PM, Rego, P. wrote:
>
> > How are published the new Ada Standards? I mean, when looking for some
> > questions here in forum I read some posts where some people talk (at least
> > looked to me) very fluently about new features for Ada 2012 and even for Ada
> > 2020, as if they were defined from long ago. I guess WG9 don't have so many
> > people or I have missed something.
>
> Past, current, and proposed versions of the ARM are available at
>
> http://www.adaic.org/ada-resources/standards/
>
> though they don't have the ARM for Ada 80 (US DoD MIL-STD-1815).
>
> --
> Jeff Carter
> "Hold your temper. Count ten.... Now let 'er go.
> You got a good aim."
> Never Give a Sucker an Even Break
> 105

Here's the DoD spec, if you're interested:
http://www.everyspec.com/MIL-STD/MIL-STD+%281800+-+1999%29/ANSI-MIL-STD-1815A_8646/

* Re: Ada Standards
@ 2011-11-29  5:39     ` AdaMagica
From: AdaMagica @ 2011-11-29  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 29 Nov., 02:54, Shark8 <onewingedsh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 25, 12:53 am, Jeffrey Carter
> > Past, current, and proposed versions of the ARM are available at
>
> >http://www.adaic.org/ada-resources/standards/
>
> > though they don't have the ARM for Ada 80 (US DoD MIL-STD-1815).
>
> Here's the DoD spec, if you're interested:
> http://www.everyspec.com/MIL-STD/MIL-STD+%281800+-+1999%29/ANSI-MIL-S...

No, that's the Ada 83 standard, which is also at AdaIC. Jeff meant the
Ada 80 standard, which is nowhere available in electronic form, AFAICT.

* Re: Ada Standards
@ 2011-11-29 11:54       ` Dirk Craeynest
From: Dirk Craeynest @ 2011-11-29 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <cc6a15f3-a3df-44a6-8ea9-2aa347940140@n35g2000yqf.googlegroups.com>,
AdaMagica  <christ-usch.grein@t-online.de> wrote:
>No, that's the Ada 83 standard, which is also at AdaIC. Jeff meant the
>Ada 80 standard, which is nowhere available in electronic form, AFAICT.

The Ada 80 "proposed standard document" was printed by Springer in
their Lecture Notes in Computer Science series (LNCS) as Volume 106
(I have the book at home) [1].

So, it *is *available online, but you need to have a subscription to
access it [2].  The s.c. front-matter (inc. table of contents and
foreword) and back-matter (all appendices, incl. syntax summary,
and the index) can be accessed freely.  (They made an error in the
scanning process, though: the title page is from Vol.107 instead...)

[1] <http://www.springer.com/computer/swe/book/978-3-540-10693-7>
[2] <http://www.springerlink.com/content/978-3-540-10693-7>

HTH

Dirk
Dirk.Craeynest@cs.kuleuven.be (for Ada-Belgium/-Europe/SIGAda/WG9 mail)

*** 17th Intl.Conf.on Reliable Software Technologies - Ada-Europe'2012
*** June 11-15, 2012 ** Stockholm, Sweden ** http://www.ada-europe.org

* Re: Ada Standards
@ 2011-11-29 18:29         ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2011-11-29 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/29/2011 04:54 AM, Dirk Craeynest wrote:

> The Ada 80 "proposed standard document" was printed by Springer in
> their Lecture Notes in Computer Science series (LNCS) as Volume 106
> (I have the book at home) [1].
>
> So, it *is *available online, but you need to have a subscription to
> access it [2].  The s.c. front-matter (inc. table of contents and
> foreword) and back-matter (all appendices, incl. syntax summary,
> and the index) can be accessed freely.  (They made an error in the
> scanning process, though: the title page is from Vol.107 instead...)
>
> [1]<http://www.springer.com/computer/swe/book/978-3-540-10693-7>
> [2]<http://www.springerlink.com/content/978-3-540-10693-7>

Thanks for pointing that out. This is the 1980 Nov edition; the final version
was published 1980 Dec 10 (special date), but I don't think it was different.

--
Jeff Carter
"Crucifixion's a doddle."