From: sommar@enea.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Subject: VAX Ada and CDD
Date: 1 Mar 91 22:44:26 GMT	[thread overview]

This is more a less an RTFM question, but it turned out that
the customer site where I am only had the manuals for VAX
Ada 1.0 which I didn't even bother to look at. Yes, we plan
to get our own manual set for the department where I am.

What want I to do is simple. I'm accessing an RDB database,
and I do not want to redeclare the database definitions,
but fetch them from the CDD. In other DEC languages there
are directives like %DICTIONARY to do this. How do you
do this in VAX-Ada? *Can* you do it? I searched the Ada
module in the VMS HELP library, and found nothing, neither
"CDD" nor "dict".

If it is not possible to include them directly, I can still
think of generating Ada declarations from the CDD in some
way. Anyone who already has done this and is willing to
share his efforts?

We have RDB 3.1, but will soon go to 4.0. Has the stupid
restriction that SQL$PRE does not support INCLUDE FROM
DICTIONARY for Ada disappeared in 4.0? That would suffice
to solve my problem.

Please mail answers to me personally, since I will get them
faster that way. I will summarize any interesting findings.
--
Erland Sommarskog - ENEA Data, Stockholm - sommar@enea.se