From: mjsilva697@earthlink.net (Mike Silva)
Subject: Re: Two Dimensional Array
Date: 15 Feb 2002 18:05:54 -0800
Date: 2002-02-16T02:05:54+00:00	[thread overview]

brianc@billybob.demon.co.uk (Brian A Crawford) wrote in message news:<3c6d8b32.18156525@news.demon.co.uk>...
><...>
>My problem is the array is so big and is out of sequence.
>
> If I had to just place the ones and zeros in the array once only I
> would bite the bullet and get on with it.  But I have to fine tune the
> placements 100 of times.  The consistent thing however is if I could
> define the array out of sequence the groups of 1's and 0's would be in
> small groups of 5 numbers (not consequtive numerically but
> consequtively placed.
> To use your example again 3,1,2 ; 1,2,5 and 2,5,4 etc would be the
> small groupings inside the array.  The fact that it is so big is the
> headache. Then I may be able to call the 1,2,5 : AN and the 2,5,4 :BN
> etc,and just fine tune by moving the AN's and BN's etc around like a
> kind of shorthand for each block of 1's ,defining others=> 0.

How about starting with an empty array and then using a procedure to
set the '1's?  The procedure would be driven with data from another
array which holds the 5-sets (?) to be set.  This way you move from
the cumbersome notation of filling in bits of a sparse array to simply
filling in a fully-packed array with your sets of out-of-sequence
coordinates.

Mike