From: jonathan <johnscpg@googlemail.com>
Subject: Re: About the F-22 software bug
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 07:30:37 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2010-02-06T07:30:37-08:00	[thread overview]

On Feb 4, 6:46 pm, Pascal Obry <pas...@obry.net> wrote:
> Just curious, does someone have information to share about this problem:
>
> <<
> While attempting its first overseas deployment to the Kadena Air Base in
> Okinawa, Japan, on 11 February 2007, a group of six F-22 Raptors flying
> from Hickam AFB, Hawaii, experienced multiple computer crashes
> coincident with their crossing of the 180th meridian of longitude (the
> International Date Line).

I did another quick web search ... this was the best
I could find:

http://www.murdoconline.net/archives/4595.html/comment-page-1#comment-324995

quote:

  ... it should be noted that they did test the code in a
  simulator, and it worked fine. But the simulator did not
  use the actual GINS [GPS Inertial Navigation System]
  hardware (because the simulator does not actually move,
  so a GPS receiver would be useless to simulate movement).
  The GINS hardware was tested separately and also did not
  show an anomoly...

By the way, if you want an awesome display of some
real F-22 software in action, there are several youtube
videos around. I googled: F-22 youtube Supermanouverability.
All I can think of watching these is what the programmers have
go through to make these things happen. To me its seriously
scary ... complexity quite possibly on par with that of
in-flight entertainment systems;-)

Jonathan