* procedural variables
@ 1991-02-24 21:18 Erland Sommarskog
From: Erland Sommarskog @ 1991-02-24 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Also sprach Stephen Edwards <edwards@cis.ohio-state.edu>:
>This isn't quite correct.  Ironically, procedure _variables_ (in Ada)
>aren't even needed for X callbacks, as virtually all Ada-to-C X interfaces
>illustrate.  One only need pass an indirect reference to an Ada procedure
>on to the C code.  For this purpose, there isn't need of Ada-manipulable
>procedure variables.  (this would not be true when interfacing to an all
>Ada implementation of X, of course.)

...or you wanted an interface package with declarations that
assured that you passed callbacks with the right parameter
profile.
--
Erland Sommarskog - ENEA Data, Stockholm - sommar@enea.se

* Re: procedural variables
@ 1991-02-14 19:08 stt
From: stt @ 1991-02-14 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Re: procedural variables

The Ada 9X Requirements document, dated December 1990,
includes a Study Topic and a Requirement dealing with
subprograms as variables/parameters.  This indicates
that there is now general consensus that such a capability
should be in the upcoming revision of Ada.

As for why there were left out originally, yes
it was probably that generics provide partial support, and also
I think there were some concerns about safety.

For Ada 9X, we believe we will be able to provide both a safe and
flexible capability for subprograms as variables/parameters.

Stay tuned...

S. Tucker Taft      stt@inmet.inmet.com
Ada 9X Mapping/Revision Team
Intermetrics, Inc.
Cambridge, MA  02138

* procedural variables
@ 1991-02-11 18:04 J o s e D u a r t e ! ! !
From: J o s e D u a r t e ! ! ! @ 1991-02-11 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

	Since Ada does not provide for procedural variables, how
do you/your associates handle the need for having a procedure or
a task perform different duties depending on run-time circumstances?

	One scenario would be to pass an enumeration value to the
procedure and then to use "if-then-else-end if" or "case" statements to
determine which procedure should be run. This approach will work;
however, it seems inelegant.

	Does anyone one out there have a "nifty" solution or idea
that they would be willing to share?

Thanks,

JOSE D.